OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Reordering Announcements

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Reordering Announcements

Postby rexdmatthews » Sat May 02, 2009 6:26 am

Is there any way to reorder announcements once they are created? At several places in OJS the software provides up and down arrow controls to rearrange items -- e.g., in the Masthead setup section one can click the up or down arrows to rearrange the names of individuals on a board of directors or an editorial board, or in issue creation one can rearrange the order of articles in an issue of a journal. I expect to maintain a pretty active announcements section in the journal which I manage and would really like to be able to keep them in chronological order of the events (conferences, lectures, etc.) being announced. I can't see any way to do that now; each new announcement that I create automatically appears at the top of the list. The only way I see to put a new announcement into chronological order involves deleting and then recreating all of the existing announcements with the new one placed in its proper chronological position. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard simply to rearrange the order of existing announcements when adding a new one so as to keep things in the desired order. Can anyone help with this problem?
rexdmatthews

Re: Reordering Announcements

Postby jmacgreg » Tue May 05, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi Rex,

Just to clarify: the announcements are ordered chronologically by the date they are published. Are you essentially looking to back-date announcements -- that is, control the publish date so they are injected where needed in the announcements listing?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby rexdmatthews » Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Being able to backdate the announcements would help solve my problem. My announcements primarily concern academic events (conferences, symposia, society meetings, lectureships, that sort of thing). For my purposes, the date of posting is largely irrelevant; what matters is the date of the event itself. Say I have a list of six announcements posted, and that they are arranged so that the order of the events is (from top to bottom) [1] June, [2] July, [3] September, [4] October, [5] November, [6] December. Now I get notice of a new event for which I wish to post an annoucement, and that event happens in August. Since the announcements are automatically arranged in order of creation, the order of the *events* will now be: [1] August, [2] June, [3] July, [4] September, [5] October, [6] November, [7] December. That makes no sense to my readers, who have no reason to care about the date of creation of an announcement. My readers do have (and should have) a reasonable expectation that a list of such events will be presented in the chronological order of the events themselves, not the chronological order of the creation of the announcements. So, the best solution for me would be to have "up" and "down" arrow controls on the screen where one can click to edit or delete announcements, so that regardless of the date of creation I could maintain the list of announcements in the order of the events themselves. However, I can see how I could accomplish the same effect by controlling or manipulating the information in the date of creation field. Is that possible? Thanks in advance for your help with this, which really is a vexing problem for my journal site.
rexdmatthews

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 07, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi Rex,

Thanks for the further info: I've reported this as a feature request at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4259. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for any future updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Werner » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:29 am

Hi,

I would definitely support this feature. Deleting all announcements and reposting them in the right order is possible but a bit awkward.

Greetings
Werner
Werner

Re: Reordering Announcements/changing Announcement Date

Postby rootl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:10 am

Greetings:

Any updates on this feature? We would also like to be able to manually change the date of announcements and reorder them. Announcements appear to default to server time.

I can change dates within the database, but an administrative control in the GUI would be great to have.

I have subscribed to the bugzilla cc list.

Thank you.
rootl

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi all,

The Bugzilla CC list is the best place to stay tuned for updates; unfortunately there's nothing to report yet.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:38 am

Hi all,

I've just implemented the ability to modify the date posted. The patch is listed in the bugzilla entry.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby rootl » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:52 am

Thank you Alec! We are going to implement this. Thank you very much.
rootl

Postby rootl » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:47 am

Hello Alec and all,

I have implemented this patch for Reordering announcements. It works perfectly. Thank you.
rootl

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion