OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problem: Open Access Journal and Subscription

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Problem: Open Access Journal and Subscription

Postby ledadmin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:14 am

Dear OJS Team.
Is it possible to use the subscription forms native in OJS for the subscription to the printed copy of an open access journal?
To use the subscription module we have to declare in the setup that the journal may not be completely open access.
In our case this is not true because the journal is completely open access on line and you can only subscribe to the printed version of the journal.

- Giuseppe
ledadmin

Re: Problem: Open Access Journal and Subscription

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi Giuseppe,

I'm not aware of any journals using OJS in that way; what features of the subscription management tools were you hoping to use? Subscriber list management, payment tools, renewal notifications, etc.?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby ledadmin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:41 am

Dear Alec,
We'd like to use SUBSCRIPTION TYPES - SUBSCRIPTION POLICIES – PAYMENTS
In the subscription types it is clearly asked to choose if the subscription is due for the printed version, for the online version or for both of them. Maybe no other journal uses the subscription feature at the moment but the OJS system provides all the tools to use it.
If OJS gives the opportunity to process the subscriptions to the printed version, then it must also give the opportunity to state that the on line version of the journal is open access (when this is the case), otherwise the information given is not correct and accurate.
Thank you very much

Giuseppe
ledadmin

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:03 am

Hi Giuseppe,

I'm afraid you've exposed an area of unfamiliarity for me. I'll ask the developer who wrote that part of the system to comment.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby michael » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi Giuseppe,

ledadmin wrote: If OJS gives the opportunity to process the subscriptions to the printed version, then it must also give the opportunity to state that the on line version of the journal is open access (when this is the case), otherwise the information given is not correct and accurate.

Yes, that's correct: you'll need to enable subscriptions in the Journal Setup in order to be able to access and manage subscribers.

You will then need to set each published issue's access status to "open access" to override the default subscription option.

This will ensure that the online issue is open access but you will still have access to the subscription management functions.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby ledadmin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:41 am

Dear Michael,
what you suggest to do on the singli issues is something that we already do.
But when enabling the subscriptions in the journal set up then in the section ABOUT / POLICIES you do not see the following statement:
"Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge."

Like I said, our journals are open access because they give immediate and complete access to their contents so I don't see why we can't have the Open Access Policy statement published in the journal policies.
I mean, subscriptions to the printed version and online open access policy can coexist. Therefore in set up 4.1 the first two conditions can coexist: I can flag the first condition but I must also be able to flag the second one.

Thank you very much!
Best regards
Giuseppe
ledadmin

Postby michael » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for the clarification.

I would recommend adding a custom policy item in Journal Setup => Policies => 2.5 Add Item to Appear in "About the Journal"

You can simply use the default open access title and text for the custom item which will then be displayed on the About page.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Return to OJS Technical Support