OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Upgrade instructions - for non-technicals!

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Upgrade instructions - for non-technicals!

Postby aadilsi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:41 am

Dear all,
I would be very happy if someone could provide step by step instructions on upgrading OJS (from 2.3.8.0 to latest).
I have installed, maintained and troubleshot this journal purely from docs and instructions posted in this forum (Thanks to Alec Smecher and the OJS team).
Here is my situation:
My journal is hosted on GoDaddy (shared linux server).
I manage the journal from my desktop with windows7 & ubuntu 12.04 installed.
AND I have no clue on how to run the PHP, BUT am very good at following instructions.
I sincerely hope one of you can help.
Thanks again.
--
Eddy
aadilsi

Re: Upgrade instructions - for non-technicals!

Postby aadilsi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 am

Guys! I could use just a little help here.
I want to know, how to get my home desktop connected to my GoDaddy web server via php cli (to run the upgrade script).
Any help appreciated.
--
Eddy
aadilsi

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:08 am

Hi Eddy,

Unfortunately, what you're doing is inherently technical. Your easiest route, though not without potential for failure, is to try the web-based upgrade rather than trying to run it via command-line on a different machine. The instructions for this should be in your docs/UPGRADE. Just make sure you have everything backed up (your installation, your database, and your file storage area) and a fairly good idea of how to restore it if something goes amiss.

The most common failure in this type of upgrade will be an out-of-memory or timeout condition, both of which will depend on your PHP configuration, and both of which are less likely to happen on installations with smaller amounts of content.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby aadilsi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks for the reply Alec.
I have gone through the docs/UPGRADE a couple of times.
What I gather is this web-based script will only help upgrading the OJS database, and any upgrade patches will not be applied.
I have executed this step, with no changes seen. OJS version still 2.3.8.0
I could try something technical! :)
aadilsi

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:54 am

Hi Eddy,

Upgrading involves two steps:
  • Updating the code
  • Upgrading the database
If you haven't modified your installation, using the full-package process (documented in docs/UPGRADE) for the first step, followed by the web-based database upgrade for the second step, will involve the least shuffling of content between machines and other finicky work.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby aadilsi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks Alec,
Will update you on how it went.
--
Eddy
aadilsi

Postby aadilsi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi Alec,
I have attempted an upgrade.
I am having this error on my index home page.
Fatal error: Call to undefined method OJSPaymentManager::getManager() in /home/content/22/10250022/html/pages/issue/IssueHandler.inc.php on line 250
The payment plugin was not active in the previous installation.
How to get through this?
--
Eddy
aadilsi

Postby aadilsi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:59 am

There are similar errors on other pages as well.
Fatal error: Call to undefined method OJSPaymentManager::getManager() in /home/content/22/10250022/html/pages/user/UserHandler.inc.php on line 92
aadilsi

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:00 am

Hi Eddy,

I suspect you've got old code mixed with new code. Make sure all the old code from your install is gone before you start uploading the new code.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby aadilsi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Alec,
Thanks for the help.
I hope I have got this sorted out.
From a non-technical point of view, here are the steps that I followed to upgrade from 2.3.8 to 2.4.2 OJS.
If there are mistakes and you want this to be taken off, let me know.
1. BACKUP your database. (godaddy provided a simple one click solution)
2. DOWNLOAD the latest files OJS 2.4.2 http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/download/ojs-2.4.2.tar.gz
Following steps can be done on a local machine, or on the server directly.
3. UNZIP the folder and compare it with the folders of your earlier/older version of OJS
4. COMPARE- Folders from your old version, that you don't find in the folder of the new version of OJS are IMPORTANT. Leave these folders as they are and copy and move all other folders to some where safe (backup just in case).
5. PUT all the folder and files from the new version into the installation directory (FTP it if working on a different local machine).
6. COMPARE and make changes from you old config.inc.php to the new config.inc.php file, (database details, etc), but keep the code line 28 as installed=Off in the config.inc.php. Save
7. RESTORE your database that you had backed up in step 1.
8. UPGRADE the journal database by opening the journal home page and clicking on the upgrade button.
9. RESTORE the code line 28 as installed=On in the config.inc.php file and save it.
10. PATCHES relevant to 2.4.2 should now be applied. http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=OJS_2.4.2_Recommended_Patches
Check the About the Journal section of your Journal, which should show, Open Journal Systems 2.4.2.0.
Good Luck!

--
Eddy
aadilsi

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi Eddy,

Glad to hear you're up and running again! I'm not 100% about the process you followed for files that are in the old codebase -- all code from the old version ought to be removed before you upload the files from the new version. In some cases there are files with the same names but in different locations, and it's possible that OJS will import the wrong one, which causes problems like the one you saw above.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby aadilsi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi Alec,
Thanks, I do get the point. I compared all the folders and the extra folders that I had were;
.errordocs
_db_backups
upload folder
usr
I checked each folder, and found them harmless. :?
I still agree, that this might not be the best way to get things done, but since its working at the moment, I'd take it. :)
Thanks for the help.
--
Eddy
aadilsi

Return to OJS Technical Support