OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Assigning a copyeditor

For discussion of ideas, functional requirements, interests regarding the Open Monograph Press.

Moderators: jmacgreg, John

Forum rules
Please feel free to post any questions or start any discussion about OMP here. We'll let you know via this forum when OMP is ready to download and test. You may also want to keep an eye on our OMP page.

Assigning a copyeditor

Postby jpowell » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:46 am

How does one assign a copyeditor? My page doesn't have an "Assign" button next to the "Upload File" button on the Copyediting banner as shown in the userguide screen shot under "Editorial" on this page
http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/OMP_Us ... ing_Review
Everything else on my page looks the same as the screen shot aside from that missing button except there is also no explanatory paragraph underneath the Copyediting banner. I do have a copyeditor included in the Participants but don't know how to assign him.
Thanks,
Judy
jpowell

Re: Assigning a copyeditor

Postby asmecher » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:55 am

Hi Judy,

Do you have a file uploaded on that grid? The "Assign" button is only present if there's at least one file to assign a copyeditor to.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jpowell » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:32 am

Hi Alex. You are right I didn't have a file uploaded there, - I thought that was the place for files that were already copyedited. I wanted to assign the copyeditor to work on the files. So, to assign a copyeditor I just add them to the participants and notify them through the notify button under their name in the participants grid? They work then on the final draft files and when finished, upload the files under the copyediting header? Then the press or series editor assigns someone (for example, the author) to proofread the files and answer queries etc.?

I found this a bit confusing - perhaps it would be better for the copyediting banner to be titled Copyedited Files and the Final Draft Files to be called Files for Copyediting. Also, it seemed odd there was no Assign button beside the Final Draft Files for me to assign a copyeditor.

Thanks for your help,
Judy
jpowell

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi Judy,

The Copyediting section of the workflow is probably the most confusing aspect of OMP 1.0 and rest assured we'll be making it more intuitive. Its current operation is documented in http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/OMP_Userguide#Editorial. The "Copyediting" grid is actually where files go *after* they're copyedited; copyeditors need to be assigned and then notified in the Participants drop-down. This will give *them* the ability to upload files to the Copyediting grid, using the Final Draft files as source material. Once that's one, the Copyediting grid's "assign" tool allows you to request audits from other parties, such as authors, of files that copyeditors have already worked with. Hope that makes sense?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jpowell » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Thank you Alec (and my apologies for calling you Alex earlier). I think I get this now but I am glad plans are underway to make the process more intuitive in a future release.
jpowell

Return to OMP Discussion