OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Browse title and reading tools not working

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Postby pkpsupport » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:19 am

We installed, OJS2.1.1. I've changed the php.ini, memory_limit=16M, post_max_size=16M, and the upload_max_filesize=10M. Currently Browse Title and Reading Tools are not working. Is there anything I can do?

Regards
Jacobien
pkpsupport

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:06 am

Hi Jacobien,

I'll need more information on what's not working -- do you receive any error messages? Is display_errors set to E_ALL in php.ini? Did you restart Apache after changing the settings in php.ini?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby pkpsupport » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:02 am

To save time, we tried to load the journal title names into the mysql databases, directly from a text file. After we deleted the journal names, and add them with the OJS applications, both problems seems to be fixed. Suddenly thew browse on Journal title stopped working again. We changed permissions this morning. I read on the forum that, permissions could related to the browse not working. What is the recommended permissions to use for the wholse system on linux for the user and group. Because the apache use www-data as user and group.

Jacobien
pkpsupport

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:08 am

Hi Jacobien,

Here's what I'd suggest, in order of precedence. This is a suggested configuration, and your mileage may vary depending on how your system is configured.

- OJS installation directory: Owned by your personal user account on the system; group unimportant; mode 755
- OJS configuration file (config.inc.php): Owned by your personal user account; group www-data; mode 750
- Cache directory and all contents: Owned by www-data; mode 700
- Public directory and all contents: Owned by www-data; mode 755
- Files directory and all contents: Owned by www-data; mode 700

Keep in mind that if you're using a shared system, other people's applications will also run as www-data and therefore may be able to access your files. In many cases there's not really a good solution to this problem.

One variant that we've had good success with uses the setgid bit (chmod g+s). If your system supports it, try using it with the files and cache directories (and potentially public as well).

I still don't have enough details to speculate on the problems you're having with the browse feature, although it's potentially a data cache problem, in which case changing permissions on your cache directory may help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support