OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Guest editor

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Guest editor

Postby soeren » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:25 am

Hi,

we are hosting and maintaining a OJS installation at http://online-journals.org for an increasing number of journals. First, of all OJS is a excellent software - thanks a lot to the development team!!!
A problem we are currently facing is that there is no way to create special issues and assign guest editors accordingly. It would be great if there would be a special guest editor role, which allows to oversee the complete editing process limited to a certain special issue. Ideally sections of the special issue could be created by the guest editor specifically for that special issue (and thus different from general sections). Authors should be able to submit papers explicitly to the special issue up to a certain deadline.
Do you think such an OJS extension is possible and when would it prospectively available. Is there something we can do to support the development?

Best regards,

Sören
soeren

Re: Guest editor

Postby asmecher » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:32 pm

Hi Sören,

I'd suggest creating a Section Editor account for the guest editor; then have a full Editor assign suitable submissions to the guest editor. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby soeren » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:16 pm

Hi Alec,

thanks for your quick reply!
Unfortunately, the solution you suggested won't really solve our problem. We want to have regularly guest editors for special issues, who autonomously manage the editing of one issue assigned to them (ideally even with special issue specific sections). Also authors should be able to submit papers specifically for consideration of a special issue. After a certain deadline expired submissions should not be possible anymore.
I know, that there might be some workarounds with including manual interaction to make something similar work, but we are currently already running a number of open-access journals and want to increase their number much more. All of them have the guest editor requirement. Also we plan to use OJS for managing a series of workshop/conference proceedings, where actually each issue is a special issue in the way I described. For that, the missing special issue/guest editor feature is actually currently a show stopper. :-(
I know, implementing this might require some work, but I'm pretty sure, it is a extremely useful feature for most of the OJS installations. Besides that BTW I'm very happy and impressed with what you guy achieved with OJS and even try to contribute as I can (e.g. see my post regarding the BibTeX citation in the dev forum).

Best,

Sören
soeren

Postby asmecher » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:31 pm

Hi Sören,

Agreed, the ability to submit directly to a guest editor for a particular issue would be a useful feature to add. Do you have any development resources to contribute? If so, I'd be happy to suggest approaches. If not, I can file a bugzilla entry so that we're sure to consider this for a future release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby soeren » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:14 am

Hi Alec,

I can not guarantee that I or one of my colleagues will be able to implement the feature, but if you give us some hints how to approach the problem I will be happy to have a look and give it a try.

Best,

Sören
soeren

Postby asmecher » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Hi Sören,

The tricky part for this is going to be limiting the need for code maintenance. Currently, the Editor and Section Editor roles have a lot in common, but do involve some near-duplicated code (e.g. SectionEditorSubmissionDAO vs. EditorSubmissionDAO). Adding a third role to these lists (e.g. Guest Editor, with their own GuestEditorSubmissionDAO and pages/guestEditor and so on) will involve duplicating a lot of code that will then need to be kept roughly in sync with any changes or bugfixes that are made to the Section Editor and/or Editor code. This will probably lead to bugs and inconsistencies in the long run.

For that reason, I'd suggest extending the Section Editor role rather than adding a new Role.

The following tasks would be involved:
  • Extend the Editor's "Create Issue" / "Issue Data" interface to allow the Editor to designate whether or not authors can submit directly to that particular issue.
  • Extend the Author's interface so that they can optionally choose an issue to submit the article to.
  • The current association between Articles and Issues comes with the introduction of an entry in the published_articles table. This would probably need to be refactored so that issue_id is a column of the articles table instead.
  • Section Editors are currently only allowed to access submissions to which they have been assigned. This would have to be changed so that Section Editors can be assigned by Editors to particular Issues, and so that the access limitations for Section Editors reflect these new possibilities.
  • It may be worth considering whether there is a more appropriate name for the Section Editor role, now that it incorporates Guest Editors. (Section Editor has been too specific a term for the role already, as it is not often used on a section-by-section basis.)
Hope that helps. If you'd like more details on any part of this, feel free to ask.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rigas » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:00 am

Hi to all,

We publish our journal in French : Revue d'anthropologie des connaissances: http://www.cairn.info/revue-anthropolog ... sances.htm
We have the same problem with special issues (we call them "dossiers"). In most issues of the journal we have a "Special issue" section with Guest Editors of this special issue. So we create for each "Special issue" a section that will contain submissions to this special issue.

Apart what is said about the Guest Editors in this discussion, we also have a problem with the archives.

Since, we create a section for each "Special issue", after its published we dont want it to appear again as a possible journal section (since its published, we dont want authors or editors to assign new article submissions to this section).

If we erase the section it disappears entirely and we have no trace of whether its published or not in a special issue, which is an important information for us in reporting on the activity of the journal and in locating past activity.

Any idea on how to keep trace of the "Special issue" while erasing the section it was supposed to be ?

Best and thank you for this excellent software.

Rigas
Editor in chief RAC
rigas

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:40 am

Hi Rigas,

I can think of two options:
  • Put up with a growing list of special sections in the management interface; if you configure them e.g. not to accept submissions, they shouldn't be problematic elsewhere.
  • When you need a new special section, as long as the submissions in the last one are finished with the workflow process, edit and re-use it for the next issue.
However, it's definitely better not to delete sections that contain content.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion