OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

HOW-TO: Translating OJS and OCS

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: HOW-TO: Translating OJS and OCS

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:17 am

Hi Ojser,

You will not be able to work with OJS's .xml files directly using poedit; you'll need to use some other tool to convert to a format poedit understands, and then back again. This won't be a difficult conversion but I'm not sure OTOH what tools would do it for you. (I would probably script up a half-page of PHP to do it, if I were given the task -- but that's not to say PHP is the best tool for the job.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 am

Hi rorohany,

We are currently assessing Transifex, Pootle, and others as possible replacements for the current translator plugins. The assessment is under way but when it's completed we'll post some of our plans. Whatever solution we end up using will be web-based and will be sufficiently integrated with OJS that you won't see a decrease in functionality -- likely the process will become a lot easier. And we're hoping not to have to pay for it either :)

Can you describe the trouble you're having with the translation plugin? It ought to be fairly stable. (If you see ##text.like.this## it means that locale key hasn't been translated yet.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Garant » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:09 am

Hi!
I'm running in interesting situation. I've written a custom plugin and have translated some keys for all languages.
All journals runs with common template. All journals except one translates the message key:
https://www3.mruni.eu/ojs/sustainable-d ... e/view/328
but one fails:
https://www3.mruni.eu/ojs/social-techno ... e/view/477
##plugins.block.popularArticles.views## key
I've cleared all template's cache. Also I've rechecked with different browsers in private mode. But I had no luck...
Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Garant

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi Garant,

It's impossible to know without seeing your plugin code, but I suspect the $this->addLocaleData() call is not being called within the plugin class consistently for all journals.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby babavelkon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:38 am

This is an urgent request,

I had been installed my OJS in a folder with name of J in my hosting. It was working fine. But, i change the directory. I also change the base url in config. It working fine, BUT, a part of the translation system doses not working. most of text appearing as #txt#. Somebody help me. Because there is more than 30 journals which are is same condition.

Thanks for all you in advanced
I ma looking forward to hearing from you.
babavelkon

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:38 am

Hi babavelkon,

Next time, please post a new issue in a new thread; this helps keep the forum organized. Also, can you post more specific information -- e.g. are many locale keys showing up #this.way#? Specifically which ones?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby babavelkon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate for you recommendation for keeping this content more organized. I was not familiar with structure of forum.

The problem was simpler than what I said: I changed the directory (only moving all the directory to another folder ), then, I returned it back the previous directory to the same position.But, surprisingly, the translation doses not working anymore. All the local files exist, and all the files was checked to avoid missing.

More Detail: some translation work fine like this one: (Click here if you are already registered with this or another journal on this site.) but, most of them (like main menu in navigation bar including archive, current, about.. and all the blocks, account information...). I have changed the ojs directory before successfully in many times in may domains and hosting without any problem, but this case is strange..
babavelkon

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi babavelkon,

Hmm; the first thing that comes to mind is file permissions. Is it possible that you've made an inadvertent change -- either to the directories the locale files are in, or the cache dir?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby babavelkon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:41 pm

The permission was the first thing i checked to solve the problem, i checked the permissions of folders with another ojs which works properly now, but all the permission are okay. However, I changed some of permission to 777 but it is hard to change all folders and files permissions to 777 to check the possibility of permission.

I
babavelkon

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi babavelkon,

777 permissions are guaranteed to be dangerous -- I'd suggest using the -R option to chmod, chown, and chgrp in order to ensure that you have *everything* set properly. See the instructions at http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/PKP_Frequently_Asked_Questions#I.27m_having_file_permission_problems.3B_how_should_I_set_file_permissions.3F. Second, delete all .php files from cache/ and ensure that they're re-created when you browse the site; third, make sure all your .xml locale files are validated using an XML validator like xmllint. (That last one is only relevant if you've been making changes to the locale files.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby babavelkon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:20 am

I solved the problem. I do what you have said but, the problem was not due to the local or cash directory. Hence, I have to installe a new ojs in a new directory. Then, I replaced the "lib" directory of newly installed ojs with the "lib" directory of the faulty ojs. The problem was solved. It seems a file was missing or have incorrect permission in lib directory. Thanks for your time and help.
babavelkon

Previous

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion