OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Patch upgrade from 2.3.2.1 to 2.4.2?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: Patch upgrade from 2.3.2.1 to 2.4.2?

Postby warrenju » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:34 am

Do you mean the .rej files? Because I no longer have those. If you mean different error logs then where do I find them?
warrenju

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:47 am

Hi Justin,

This is the log that receives any PHP error messages. Its specific location will depend on your server setup, but you can typically find it by looking at your phpinfo() screen and finding the error logging settings.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby warrenju » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:10 am

asmecher wrote:Hi Justin,

This is the log that receives any PHP error messages. Its specific location will depend on your server setup, but you can typically find it by looking at your phpinfo() screen and finding the error logging settings.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Even though I am "hosting" the OJS software on my local machine and not a web server? I tried creating a phpinfo.php text file, as I could not locate one, with <?php phpinfo(); ?> as text in both the OJS directory and in the /etc directory where the php.ini file is but cannot open the phpinfo.php in a browser (I just get a blank page in firefox). Excuse my ignorance on the subject. This project was handed down to me with no prior experience working with this software as the person who originally set it up has departed from the university. Thanks for your patience.

- Justin
warrenju

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:40 am

Hi Justin,

If requesting the phpinfo() document directly (with contents as you describe above) results in a blank page, then you'll need to debug your PHP setup until that's working. My apologies, but that's out of scope for us at this forum. Stackoverflow, serverfault, or something in that family is probably the best resource.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby warrenju » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Thank you.

- Justin
warrenju

Postby warrenju » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:21 pm

If requesting the phpinfo() document directly (with contents as you describe above) results in a blank page, then you'll need to debug your PHP setup until that's working. My apologies, but that's out of scope for us at this forum. Stackoverflow, serverfault, or something in that family is probably the best resource.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I am now able to load the phpinfo file and retrieve the displayed information, just not quite sure what I am looking for.

I am still getting the blank, white page when I attempt to connect to the OJS installation. When I toggle installed on/off in the config.inc.php file I can see that it is trying to redirect me to the installation page. When I turn debugging on in the same file I get the following...

(mysql): SET NAMES 'utf8'
(mysql): SELECT * FROM sessions WHERE session_id = '4t48rq76i3pf29l86flndvh9q7'
(mysql): SELECT * FROM site
(mysql): SELECT v.* FROM versions v LEFT JOIN plugin_settings ps ON lower(v.product_class_name) = ps.plugin_name AND ps.setting_name = 'enabled' AND ((journal_id = 0) OR v.sitewide = 1) WHERE v.current = 1 AND (ps.setting_value = '1' OR v.lazy_load <> 1)
(mysql): select version()
(mysql): SELECT setting_name, setting_value, setting_type, locale FROM site_settings
(mysql): SELECT setting_name, setting_value, setting_type, locale FROM site_settings
(mysql): SELECT j.* FROM journals j WHERE j.enabled=1 ORDER BY j.seq
(mysql): UPDATE sessions SET user_id = NULL, ip_address = '192.168.44.1', user_agent = 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/30.0.1599.101 Safari/537.36', created = 1382364889, last_used = 1382469312, remember = 0, data = '' WHERE session_id = '4t48rq76i3pf29l86flndvh9q7'

Anyone have an idea where to start looking to resolve this? PHP/MySQL/OJS is all new to me.

-Justin
warrenju

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi Justin,

OK, now back to the debugging we started on the last page -- is there anything in your PHP error logs? Have you double-checked your file permissions, especially on cache/ and cache/t_compile/ subdirectories?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby warrenju » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:53 pm

OK, now back to the debugging we started on the last page -- is there anything in your PHP error logs? Have you double-checked your file permissions, especially on cache/ and cache/t_compile/ subdirectories?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I did "chmod 644 t_cache" to each of the 4 subdirectories in "Cache" but in /var/log/httpd error log (I assume it's the one I need to look at) it's showing errors stemming from what appears to be the cache directory. What's the proper way to change the cache permissions, or to check to see what they currently are?
warrenju

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi Justin,

Proper file permissions are described here in the FAQ.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Previous

Return to OJS Technical Support