OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Levels of access/permissions

For discussion of ideas, functional requirements, interests regarding the Open Monograph Press.

Moderators: jmacgreg, John

Forum rules
Please feel free to post any questions or start any discussion about OMP here. We'll let you know via this forum when OMP is ready to download and test. You may also want to keep an eye on our OMP page.

Levels of access/permissions

Postby jpowell » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:09 pm

The userguide states that the Layout Editor has the same level of permissions/access as the Press Manager. I wondered why that would be - didn't seem to make sense. Upon further exploration I see that is not true. That layout editor does not have access to that Management tab at all. Also the dropdown box for giving roles to users doesn't include it under the Press Manager level. So I guess it's one of the things that will be corrected in the next edition of the userguide?

I'm not convinced that Press Editors and Production Editors need a Press Manager's level of permissions either. Has anyone else questioned that? In OJS the Journal Manager's roles were quite distinct from editorial roles - what is the reasoning behind blending those roles more in OMP? Is there anything a Press Manager can do that Press Editors and Production Editors cannot do in terms of the management settings? I see the ProdE can only be involved in the editorial and production workflow stages, so why would they need to be able to access the management settings?

Thanks,
Judy Powell
jpowell

Re: Levels of access/permissions

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi Judy,

That doesn't sound correct to me either -- can you point out where it's written in the user guide? We may need to correct the documentation.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Levels of access/permissions

Postby jpowell » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:29 am

Hi Alec. The user guide states:

"Press Managers can access the many Press Management pages, including content settings, press settings, and import/export tools and other plugins. The Press Manager(s) should configure the press via the Press Settings pages before any submissions are solicited. By default, the Press Editor, Production Editor, and Layout Editors all have "press manager" permissions."

on this page <http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/OMP_Userguide#Users_.26_Roles>, 4th paragraph, under Note: OMP and Roles

Thanks for your help,
Judy
jpowell

Return to OMP Discussion