OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Patch upgrade from 2.3.2.1 to 2.4.2?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Patch upgrade from 2.3.2.1 to 2.4.2?

Postby warrenju » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:11 am

I am trying to locate a patch to upgrade to the latest stable version hoping to keep our customization for listening to mp3's, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, besides the /docs upgrade file is there more documentation? When I attempted an upgrade using the web...

2. Web

If you do not have the PHP CLI installed, you can also upgrade by running a
web-based script. To do so:

- Edit config.inc.php and change "installed = On" to "installed = Off"
- Open a web browser to your OJS site; you should be redirected to the
installation and upgrade page
- Select the "Upgrade" link and follow the on-screen instructions
- Re-edit config.inc.php and change "installed = Off" back to
"installed = On"

I was directed to a blank page after clicking "Upgrade" link. I am new to OJS, any help is appreciated.

-Justin
warrenju

Re: Patch upgrade from 2.3.2.1 to 2.4.2?

Postby warrenju » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:22 am

I've been to https://github.com/pkp/ojs/tree/ojs-sta ... s/metadata to get the OpenURL plugin for a "practice journal" I have that is already running 2.4.2 can anyone tell me where I get the file for OpenURL and can you install it from the front end after clicking upgrade plugin in set up as journal manager? Sorry if this is too many questions at once. Again, thanks in advance.

- Justin
warrenju

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:57 am

Hi Justin,

The patch from 2.3.2-1 to 2.4.2 is available from the OJS download page.

If you have access to the command line, I suggest running the upgrade tool from there; it should give you an indication of how far the process got before stopping. If you've already tried and failed to run the upgrade, then you'll need to revert your database to its state just before you first ran the upgrade process.

The OpenURL plugin is included in OJS 2.4.2, so if you complete the upgrade, it'll be there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby warrenju » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:49 am

After successfully installing the patch, I went into the config.inc.php file and changed installed = off, saved, then loaded the page. Once there I click on the link under upgrade at the top and it just takes me to a blank white page. Any ideas why it's not taking me to the next step? Thanks in advance.
warrenju

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:03 am

Hi Justin,

A blank page generally means a PHP error occurred. Try to find the error message in your server logs, and review the FAQ.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby warrenju » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Can anyone tell me if the Core.inc.php and DBDataXMLParser.inc.php files are generic/standard across different applications? I have nothing to compare to but I am getting these errors...

[root@localhost html]# php tools/upgrade.php upgrade
[pre-install]
[load: upgrade.xml]
ojs2 has produced an error
Message: WARNING: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
In file: /var/www/html/lib/pkp/classes/core/Core.inc.php
At line: 88
Stacktrace:
Server info:
PHP Version: 5.3.13
Apache Version: N/A
DB Driver: mysql
DB server version: 5.5.23
[version: 2.4.2.0]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/signoff.xml]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/2.3.3_preupdate1.xml]
ojs2 has produced an error
In file: /var/www/html/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBDataXMLParser.inc.php
At line: 154
Stacktrace:
Server info:
PHP Version: 5.3.13
Apache Version: N/A
DB Driver: mysql
DB server version: 5.5.23

At line 154 it was set to false, changing to "true" got rid of the error. The other is in reference to date.timezone setting and I am lost as to where to put "America/New_York" Anyone have a clue, or those files/lines I can use to compare what they do/should look like? Thank you.

- Justin
warrenju

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Justin,

The time zone error is a PHP warning, not related to the fatal error you saw later. Turning assert(false) to assert(true) hides an error condition without solving the underlying problem. The most common cause for this is an attempted upgrade on a database that already failed after getting partway through -- if that's the case, please restore your database to the state it was in before you first tried the upgrade before running it again.

If that's not the case, try applying the patches in the recommended patch list for OJS 2.4.2, restore your database to its 2.3.2-1 state, and run the upgrade again.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby warrenju » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:11 am

I'm new to all of this, can you direct me to some documentation on how to restore the database to it's previous version? Sorry for the ineptitude. This is a project that I have no previous experience dealing with. Thanks.
warrenju

Postby asmecher » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Justin,

The documentation recommends using e.g. mysqldump to back up the database before attempting to run an upgrade. You need to reload your database from that backup. See http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/09/backup-and-restore-mysql-database-using-mysqldump/.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby warrenju » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Ok, I have completed the patch install, dropped the database and re-created it from a copy of our live version (as the one I am working on is a development site/copy of the live version) and successfully completed the DB upgrade...but now the web page does not load. Would the heavy customization (use of mp3's, etc on 2.3.2.1) have anything to do with the issue? What file should I be checking next? Thank you very much!

- Justin
warrenju

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi Justin,

I can't comment on your customizations -- if you're upgrading via patch, then any conflicts will *usually* be caught in the form of .rej files, which will need to be manually examined.

When you say the page does not load, what do you mean?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby warrenju » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:10 am

I type in the address and it tries for about 6 seconds to load before having an error telling me page cannot be displayed.
warrenju

Postby warrenju » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:03 am

I have config.inc.php.rej, config.TEMPLATE.inc.php.rej, and index.php.rej files. I am trying to sort through and figure out what to do. I hadn't noticed the .rej files. Thanks for the heads up as I did upgrade via patch.

-Justin
warrenju

Postby warrenju » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:24 am

Ok, After many attempts to correct the issues with the patch upgrade. My boss decided to have me start from scratch. I downloaded and installed OJS 2.4.2, restored the database to the earlier 2.3.2 version then ran the upgrade on it and it completed saying it was at ver 2.4.2, verified by the fact that more rows were present in MySQl database. While doing the installation it asked if I wanted to create the database. I just entered the information that I had for the existing one. I still, however cannot get the page to load so there is clearly a disconnect somewhere along the line. I got no .rej files doing it this way. Is there anything else I have to do to tie the OJS software to the MySQL database? I cannot for the life of me figure this out. I know I must be making it more difficult than it needs to be. I am using VMware Workstation 9 with Fedora installed. Trying to get it to work on my local machine, not web server. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Justin
warrenju

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:35 am

Hi Justin,

As above, have you checked the error logs?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support