OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Blank page for admin/languages

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Blank page for admin/languages

Postby erajabi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:34 am

Hi all,

After OJS2.4.2 installation and when I want to set languages for journal (at Site Management/Languages), I face a blank page. I set the php to display errors, but nothing shown to me.
In index.php, I found that the error is happened in $application->execute() function, but I don't know what is the problem. I should say that I can see the Language page on my OPENsuse, but I can not see on the server that I upload. Does it refer to some special configuration on the server? The directories are re-writable (BTW I selected the /home/MyUserNamE as journal directory)

Thanks in advance,
Enayat
erajabi

Re: Blank page for admin/languages

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:43 am

Hi Enayat,

Can you have a look in your Apache error log or perhaps in the error log specifically for PHP errors? Blank pages are often caused by things like missing PHP extensions or perhaps a template directory that cannot be written to.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby erajabi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:01 am

Hi Jason,

Many thanks for your reply.
This is last php log that I could get from the panel that server admin gave me:
Message: WARNING: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(plugins/oaiMetadataFormats/README/READMEOaiMetadataFormatsPlugin.inc.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/wwwhome0/wwwusr57/:/usr/share/php5/:/var/lib/php5/:/tmp/:/home/wwwusr57/)

I can see only last 50 errors in the log, maybe it is not related. In any case, you pointed to a template directory in your response. Maybe it is the cause. Where is it? Is it possible that I cannot fully access to this folder --> "/home/wwwusr57" ?

Regards,
Enayat
erajabi

Postby JasonNugent » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:00 am

Hi Enayat,

It looks like the server you are running OJS on has restrictions in place that limit the files and directories that OJS has access to. I suggest contacting the administrator of that server and giving them the error message.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby erajabi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:27 am

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response.
But I should know that OJS wants to access to which directories/files in order to tell them for giving me the access?
Now the HOME/MyUserName directory is re-writable for me. All the directories mentioned in the installation are also re-writable as it is clearly indicated by the OJS. Apart from that, which directories/files should be accessible/writable?
The OS of the server is SUSE 11.

Kind regards,
Enayat
erajabi

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:55 am

I'd recommend asking your server host to disable the open_basedir restriction for your OJS installation.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ini.core.p ... en-basedir

It really isn't needed, and a properly configured OJS installation will have the files/ directory some place outside of your web accessible files tree.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby erajabi » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:16 am

Hi Jason,

I requested from the site administrator to open access for the following directories:
/wwwhome0/wwwusr57/:/usr/share/php5/:/var/lib/php5/:/tmp/:/home/wwwusr57/

or at least disable the Open_basedir in the php.ini. At last, after 10 days, they agreed to do one of the approaches. Now, I can see the language page.
As you correctly mentioned, it was due to site restrictions.
It seems there is another problem regarding the restriction though, as I get the following error while I want to login:
DB Error: Duplicate entry 'rop2ig0ka1lh0p9q7msrc5sqesjlac2pto7nb031' for key 'sessions_pkey'
I posted this error in another forum, but the posed solutions couldn't help me to come over the problem. I could set some php ini variables (e.g., session autostart=0) but the problem still exist. I know that it is related to some server configuration or restriction as I don't get this error on my local computer.
I really appreciate if you can tell me what is the error means and what is your suggestion.

Kind regards,
Enayat
erajabi

Return to OJS Technical Support