OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Setting up OJS as a singe journal website

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Setting up OJS as a singe journal website

Postby jamilj » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:35 pm

Hello,

I've read through some of the documentation on trying to set OJS up as a single journal site and I'm still confused. Moreover, this long post on how to host multiple journals with clean URLs only confused me more. According to what I've ready there appears to be a way to eliminate extraneous URL parts, such as "index.php" and "index," or the journal abbreviation. My domain name makes identification of the journal clear and despite my attempts to use the "Base URL override" settings, everything I try either breaks something or changes nothing.

My current installation, which is here, is in a subfolder of my root domain. Ideally, the URL would be shortened to this subdomain—in this case, "/archives/". I'm hoping someone can help me accomplish this.

On a related note: is it possible to avoid references to the multi-journal features altogether—i.e., within the "back end"?

Many thanks ahead of time for your help.

P.S.: Is it just me that is forced to re-login (being sent to a captcha) every time I come to the forums—"too many login attempts…"? Is that because captcha is not on the initial page?
jamilj

Re: Setting up OJS as a singe journal website

Postby asmecher » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi jamilj,

To hide those parts of the URL, you'll need to use mod_rewrite (to map the URLs you want to the URLs OJS recognizes) and the base URL override in config.inc.php (to get OJS to generate URLs that likewise don't include the index.php and journal path parts). Both need to be working in concert for the setup to function properly. There are several documented working configurations in the forums, but unfortunately we're not able to help you debug specific mod_rewrite configurations.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Setting up OJS as a singe journal website

Postby jamilj » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Hello Alec,

This my second time writing this because phpBB decided I needed to login again and then promptly trashed my post. I have cookies on so I'm not sure why this system is working so poorly. (Apparently you have to check "keep me logged in" or else the system promptly boots you when you try to do something crazy like…making a post.)

In any case, I am only trying to use the base URL so I don't see why I should have to use mod_rewrite. The only thing that needs to change is the OJS generated URL—the rest stays the same. This is equivalent in Wordpress to creating "pretty URLs". It seems like there should be documentation on this, not mere reference to unspecified forum posts. In fact, I'd be happy to add something to the wiki once I figure it out.

Jamil
jamilj

Return to OJS Technical Support