OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

XML Import problems with issue PDFs and duplicates

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

XML Import problems with issue PDFs and duplicates

Postby jamilj » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Hello,

According to Oxygen, there is no valid way to import an Issue "galley" PDF using the XML import plugin. Can someone confirm that this is correct? I need to import over 4000 articles and close to 1000 issues and I would really like to avoid going back through and adding in PDFs for each issue.

One other thing I have noticed is that articles can easily be duplicated. I have not checked, but is this also the case with authors? I know for certain that all of my authors names are exactly the same in each instance. However, I am not importing authors ahead of time (using the XML import authors plugin) yet I'm still hoping that clicking on an author's name will bring up all of their articles. Must I use some other method to ensure that this functionality will work correctly using the XML import plugin?

I also have a suggestion on documentation: make a more complex sample.xml file that shows how to import multiple articles and multiple issues. The process is not intuitive and would have quite a bit of time for me at least. Also, it would not take much to change the documentation for the next release.
jamilj

Re: XML Import problems with issue PDFs and duplicates

Postby asmecher » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi jamilj,

Unfortunately the XML import does not currently cover issue galleys; those will need to be added outside of the plugin (or the plugin will have to be extended).

Author records are stored once per article by design -- i.e. if John Smith contributes to two articles, he will have two entries. Disambiguation for the purpose of browsing authors is done by grouping these records on several columns of the authors table. Therefore you don't need to worry about linking author records with a common identifier; just try to keep your data as consistent as possible. Author records and user records are not the same thing; you don't need to import users in order to record article authorship. (When you import, the user who is recorded as submitting the article is your own; this doesn't affect authorship for the purposes of the scholarly record.)

We will soon be reimplementing import/export for the forthcoming OJS 3.0 release and will attempt to better cover the subject in future documentation.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support