OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Changing Article number

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Changing Article number

Postby Makso » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:17 am

Hello,

could you tell me if there is any way to change the number OJS assigns to submissions? Specifically, when an author submits a paper, OJS assigns it a number (let's say 72), but since my journal is migrating to OJS after years and years of having its own system of numbering articles, it is really important for us to be able to change that number (e.g., the aforementioned 72 to 2300).
Is there a way to change this setting and enable that manuscripts are assigned numbers by the user?

Thank you in advance.
Makso

Re: Changing Article number

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Makso,

OJS uses a database sequence to generate numbers. If you're using MySQL, it's implemented as an AUTO_INCREMENT column. To set the starting value, use a query like...
Code: Select all
ALTER TABLE articles AUTO_INCREMENT = 100;
See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/ ... ement.html for more information.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Makso » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 am

OK, thank you for the quick reply.
Just one more thing - once I change the starting value, will this mean that every following article will be assigned the next number in line (e.g., i set it to 2300, and the next submission will be 2301), or will it enable me to assign each individual article a number of my choice (which I'd much more prefer)?

To be perfectly clear, I'll explain what I mean. I want to be able to assign e.g. 2300 to one article, 2445 to another, 2347 to another, and so on.

Thanks.
Makso

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:46 am

Hi Makso,

The query above will jump the queue to the number you specify, and after that numbers will increment by 1. If you want more control over the IDs that are used, I'd suggest looking into custom identifiers, which can be enabled in setup -- but be warned that OJS will still continue to assign numbers automatically for internal use; custom identifiers are exposed externally e.g. in URLs in the reader front-end. If you do go with custom identifiers, I'd suggest prefixing numbers with something (e.g. using A1005 instead of 1005) to avoid confusion (both yours and OJS's) between the two numbering schemes.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby newbies » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Is it possible to add Year and journal abbreviation to the MS#, for example, JBC-2013-#34? With the journal abbreviation and year in the number, the number makes more sense.
newbies

Postby asmecher » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi newbies,

As above, if you're looking to add more information to the database IDs, I'd suggest using the custom identifiers instead.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby newbies » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Alec,

I am sorry I could not find where to change the custom identifiers setting. What I can find is the following under Journal setup -> Management:

Custom identifiers will be used to identify issues.
Custom identifiers will be used to identify published items.
Custom identifiers will be used to identify galleys (e.g. HTML or PDF files) for published items.
Custom identifiers will be used to identify supplemental article files.

Apparently those are for published items, not for submitted manuscripts.
newbies

Postby asmecher » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi newbies,

Yes, the "published items" identifier is the one I meant. As noted above, this applies to the published content front end (and for export via formats that support that kind of thing); there is currently no way to have that sort of control over the internal identifiers.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support