OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Importing Journal Archives

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Importing Journal Archives

Postby breckenr » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:54 pm

Dear OJS community.

First let me say thank you for an extraordinarily useful and well designed publishing tool.

I do, inevitably, have a problem. My university is considering OJS as a tool for publishing all the locally supported journals; there are many reasons why it would work well to do this. However, the process of importing past issues into archives for each journal (which is where much of the value of the online journal project resides) is very difficult.

Most of these journals have spreadsheets or MS Access databases of their old content. I've found that generating XML sheets to comply with the OJS native.dtd is far too difficult to be able to recommend that each journal committee take it on. I've tried to work through http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731&highlight=import+xml
but can't see that this will work either. On the other hand, there must, surely, be hundreds of journals with similar problems. I'd be very interested to hear what solution people have adopted. It'd also be good to hear if there are plans to simplify the process of importing archives. Allowing imports from an open-source bibliographic tool would be a particularly useful feature.

Yours, with thanks,

keith
breckenr

Publishing previous issues

Postby ramon » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:17 am

Keith,

Our experience in Brasil is that most journals do not have a "system" with database to hold their data. The easiest way to load the previous issues is to simulate the submission process and jumping unecessary steps (this worked fine for version 1.1.10). Haven't tested this process on 2.1.1 yet, but I believe it may be easier, since it allows to create back issues as well.

Registering an Editor as Author will make the process easier, as s/he can upload the files, fill in the Metadata, and then remove the first author, who should be the Editor.

In your case, I would try as hard as possible to create a script that generates the content in the DTD required, since you have it in a database.
ramon

Return to OJS Technical Support