OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

No PDF-file om the Catalog page

Are you responsible for making OMP work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OMP:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OMP Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OMP Development subforum.

No PDF-file om the Catalog page

Postby nef » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:07 am

Hi
Without success I've tried to publish a test PDF on your Testdrive.
See: http://omp.sfu.ca/testdrive/index.php/s ... og/book/68
No download opportunity is showing.
Can you tell me what I've done wrong? Here's the production page:
http://omp.sfu.ca/testdrive/index.php/s ... duction/68
Regards
Niels Erik
nef

Re: No PDF-file om the Catalog page

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:45 am

Hi Niels Erik,

The payment method wasn't configured for the press (Management > Settings > Distribution). I've saved that configuration, which causes an additional grid to appear in the submission's metadata. To see this, go from the submission's workflow page to Catalog > "PDF" tab. Under "Download from Press Website", you can expand the row for the file and then click the "Set Terms" action. This will allow you to configure payment/access options.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby nef » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:47 am

Hi Alec
Thank you so much.
Regards
Niels Erik
nef

Postby nef » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi again
Now I have the same problem. No link to the pdf. I have configured the payment method but again I don't get the "Download from Press Website".
I have set a new press, so you can see my problem here:
http://omp.sfu.ca/testdrive/index.php/aul/manageCatalog
Best regards
Niels Erik
nef

Postby asmecher » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi Niels Erik,

Try this:
  • Go to Management > Catalog
  • Below your book, click Entry
  • Go to the Catalog tab
  • Under Publication Formats, check Available for your publication format.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby nef » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:35 am

Hi Alec
Unfortunately it doesn't help
Regards
Niels Erik
nef

Postby asmecher » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:11 am

Hi Niels Erik,

I took the following additional steps:
  • Go to Management > Settings > Distribution
  • Go to Payments tab
  • Fill in the empty "Instructions" field
This will complete the press' payment configuration, which permits the per-submission configuration of direct access to published files. Then, for each submission...
  • Select Entry for the submission
  • Go to the tab for the specific publication format (e.g. PDF)
  • Note that the terms for download are "Not set" by default, meaning that the file is not available.
  • Under "Download from the press website", expand the toolbar for the file you wish to configure
  • Select "Set terms" to bring up the modal window
  • Configure the access terms and save the form.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby nef » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:45 am

Hi Alec
Thank you so much. Now it works. What a nice successful experience.
Best regards
Niels Erik
nef

Re: No PDF-file on the Catalog page

Postby GidgetDigit » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:36 am

AHA!! Unbelievable. I have just solved the problem that I've been poking and prodding away for hours... trying to figure out where I went wrong and why I couldn't get a download tab to appear in the catalog, after I'd followed all sorts of instructions to make available and approve and in all different areas... I'd even found this instruction (and similar) to set payment settings (to manual) first even if you're giving it away for free... (http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9321)

BUT I finally found this little piece of info below (that you must fill in some random text on the 'instructions' field when setting manual payments) WHICH IS (ODDLY) SO CRUCIAL! I thought it was enough to just set the payment method, but no, if that field is left blank, you still don't get the magic box on the catalog tools, "availability", where you can then "edit" the title, to "set terms" and make it "open access" ...
availability_terms.png
availability_terms.png (95.04 KiB) Viewed 864 times

so, if there is some way this important piece of documentation could be made more self-evident to people (or more fool-proof... maybe make an "open access" link/check-off box in payments??), I really think it would help a lot of folks who must be running into this frustration. I have literally been clicking around at all options on all pages, every aspect of catalog management for a few hours (after I'd clicked manual payments, and still not had the further options revealed.) Perhaps at the least that the "required field" of "instructions" is forced to be required, tho it says it is, and I should have noted the red asterisk, you can click through without entering anything in that field.
required.png
required.png (77.06 KiB) Viewed 864 times

Anyway, Thank you though for your work in support here in this forum and in creating docs for these, PKP is making a real contribution to the future, and it's appreciated. We've been using Open Journal Systems for a few years, have run a great conference using OCS, and now I'm really excited to get this working and begin our open monograph press: THOUGHT | CRIMES. http://press.radicalcriminology.org

best,
pj

asmecher wrote:
I took the following additional steps:
  • Go to Management > Settings > Distribution
  • Go to Payments tab
  • Fill in the empty "Instructions" field
This will complete the press' payment configuration, which permits the per-submission configuration of direct access to published files. Then, for each submission...
  • Select Entry for the submission
  • Go to the tab for the specific publication format (e.g. PDF)
  • Note that the terms for download are "Not set" by default, meaning that the file is not available.
  • Under "Download from the press website", expand the toolbar for the file you wish to configure
  • Select "Set terms" to bring up the modal window
  • Configure the access terms and save the form.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
GidgetDigit

Postby asmecher » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:23 am

Hi GidgetDigit,

Sorry you had to spend so much time finding the missed setting -- I've filed a bug entry to make the missing fields checked when the form is saved. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8639. The payment configuration has been a confusing requirement for many users, so we'll be examining that too.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OMP Technical Support