OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

sending email smtp or without smtp

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

sending email smtp or without smtp

Postby amdorino » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi,
1. Does smtp password requires organization password of the Exchange email? Can I
avoid putting this password in the config file? The option SMTP=Off doesn't work and doesn't
make an error message.
2. The organization uses smtp.gmail.com with TLS and port 587.
I tried 'Plain' and giving the installation username and password with SMTP=On and port=587,
I also tried 'Plain' and giving the installation username and password with SMTP=On and port=587 and using the smtp server as auth.ad.<university>.<postfix>.<postfix>.
3. "LOGIN", username of email, no password=> error:
fsockopen(): unable to connect to auth.ad.bgu.ac.il:587 (A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. )
The system is clear of devlelopments, so the problem reside in the configuration, if there are any influencing definitions in the config file?
I would appreciate help about this matter.
Thanks a lot
amdorino

Re: sending email smtp or without smtp

Postby asmecher » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi amdorino,

See http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Using_gmail_SMTP. Yes, the SMTP password is required if you're using gmail for SMTP. (Your options for protecting this configuration file against 3rd-party access will depend on your server configuration, i.e. the SAPI used to execute PHP scripts.) Make sure to read the note at the bottom of the link above regarding sender addressing with gmail.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: sending email smtp or without smtp

Postby amdorino » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi,
It works.
Configuring the config file and IIS with gmail as instructed in the wiki and it works.
Thanks for your help

before i corrected it , the ssl part was missing and the ""

Thanks for your help
amdorino

Return to OCS Technical Support