OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

blank 'user/register' page after 2.4.2 upgrade

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

blank 'user/register' page after 2.4.2 upgrade

Postby pixelandpen » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi all,

I thought my 2.4.2. upgrade headaches were behind me, but one of the editors just pointed out that the /journal/user/register page comes up as blank. As well, before the upgrade, they said there used to be a "register" link on the right sidebar.

I have tried various solutions dealing with blank pages suggested throughout the forums:

1. turn on/off debugging in OJS, but there is no information shown (looking at Firebug in Firefox, it is just a 500 error)
2. double check (re)captcha settings in config.inc.php and make sure the font file is available, but there is nothing out of the ordinary
3. look at the Apache error log, but there are no errors
4. make sure there is GD on the server

Any other suggestions?

Graham
pixelandpen

Re: blank 'user/register' page after 2.4.2 upgrade

Postby asmecher » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi Graham,

Your PHP errors may or may not get logged to your Apache error log depending on your PHP configuration, but a blank page almost always indicates a PHP error. Check your php.ini configuration to see where they're getting logged. Some kinds of PHP syntax errors result in blank pages with no error message, and those can be found by using the "-l" (linting) option to the PHP binary. If you've got a *NIX server, you can typically lint everything by running the following from your OJS install directory:
Code: Select all
find . -name \*.inc.php -exec php -l "{}" ";" | fgrep -v "No syntax"
You may receive deprecation errors, which can be ignored, but in particular watch for parse or syntax errors.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: blank 'user/register' page after 2.4.2 upgrade

Postby pixelandpen » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks Alec.

It discovered that two files (/classes/user/form/RegistrationForm.inc.php and /classes/comment/form/CommentForm.inc.php) each had the $reCaptchaEnabled property listed twice. Once I removed the extra property from each class file, the page loaded.

Thanks again for the prompt reply, and for that handy PHP trick.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Graham
pixelandpen

Return to OJS Technical Support