OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Best way to backup/archive submission history?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Best way to backup/archive submission history?

Postby sttis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:43 am

Hi,

We have just migrated a journal from a single journal install to a multi journal install. We used the article/issue XML export/import function. We knew we would lose the submission history, but weren't in a position to try this http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4079!

The newly migrated journal feel it is imperative to retain review data of each published article, as they are still trying to establish indexing/rankings etc.

The original database/install and server are due to be turned off next week. What is the best way to ensure we can still access the review data in future if needed? Is there a way to export to another format, like .csv? We have a backup and presumably we could always re-install OJS and use the backup if we needed access to something. But bearing in mind most of us involved in the journal are not overly technical, is there another way to archive submission history (or review data specifically)?

Thanks,
Suzy
sttis

Re: Best way to backup/archive submission history?

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:42 am

Hi Suzy,

I would suggest keeping at least two formats:
  • Reports generated using the various reporting tools (the review report comes to mind), and
  • A full SQL backup in case you find the reports aren't comprehensive enough.
The SQL backup will obviously be a little more technically-oriented, but if your institution has an installation of phpMyAdmin, it may be possible for them to provide access to browse and explore the database via a point-and-click interface. Many institutions run phpMyAdmin so it's likely that there is already a copy floating around somewhere.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby sttis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi Alec,

I wasn't aware of the "Review report". I got excited for a minute, but they're running version 2.2.3.0 and the plugin was added to 2.3. They tried an upgrade and it failed (part of the reason they are migrating to our install in the first place).

I've looked at the review report on our dev server (v2.4) and it looks like all we need. Though it is a shame it doesn't include the contents of the review forms.

Might see if the plugin is backwards compatible as per http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7765. Will let you know how that goes!

Thanks again!

Regards,
Suzy
sttis

Postby sttis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi,

The patch worked ok. It's missing a few field labels, but I was able to piece everything together. Unfortunately the editorial board aren't happy with the output.

I assume there is no way to run one OJS instance with two databases?

Thanks,
Suzy
sttis

Postby asmecher » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:19 am

Hi Suzy,

Unfortunately no. You might consider running a second install of OJS with the old database, behind a .htaccess password to prevent crawling or unwanted submissions, and relying on that for reference. It would be low-maintenance.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby sttis » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks Alec, yes I think a second OJS install is the best solution to keep everyone happy. Thanks for all your help with my annoying questions, it is much appreciated! I am slowing learning how the beast works :)

Suzy
sttis

Return to OJS Technical Support