OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

articles duplicated

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

articles duplicated

Postby anagisbert » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:57 am

Hi all,

I've just realitzed that most of the articles published in the last issue of [url]Revista de Llengua i Dret, Journal of Language and Law (http://revistes.eapc.gencat.cat/index.php/rld/index) are duplicated, because I find them in "In editing" too.

When looking at the Event log, I see that the first steps (article submission and accptance) are kept in the "in editing" article and the rest (basically updating medatadata) is kept in the published articles.
I attach an example to show this duplication.

Looking at the Event Log - Recent Entries of all published duplicated articles, I see the same event: "Submission metadata updated ##log.editor.metadataModified##"

Any idea why this duplication happened?

I know I can erase articles manually (by rejecting them) but my concern is that statistics from last issue are not valid any more.

Thanks a lot for your help!!
Attachments
articles duplicated RLD.docx
Example of an article duplicated
(185.71 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
anagisbert

Re: articles duplicated

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:08 am

Hi anagisbert,

The ##log.editor.metadataModified## message is cosmetic; don't worry about that.

If the two submissions have different IDs, then they are in fact two different submissions. If they were imported via XML, it might be that one of them is from an earlier (failed?) import. If they came in via the submission process, then I suppose it's possible that the author submitted it twice. If your'e seeing a submission in two places with the same ID, you're probably fine.

I'm not sure I understand what the attachment is illustrating, though; can you describe in more detail?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby anagisbert » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi Alec,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid it's none of the options you point.

I'll explain the problem with more detail: the last published issue (59) of Revista de Llengua i Dret, Journal of Language and Law (http://revistes.eapc.gencat.cat/index.php/rld/index) has 26 articles, as you can see. 19 of them were submitted by authors, then accepted by editors (the evaluation part was not active yet) and then assigned to issue 59, with copyediting and layout done by editors (initially we wanted to use specific users with those roles but we ran out of time and we skiped that part of the flow too). The other 6 articles were submitted using the "quick submit" procedure.

Surprisingly, the 19 articles that come from authors' submissions are the ones duplicated. Each of them is found in two places: in issue 59 and in "In editing", with different IDs but with almost identical information. Looking at the event log, it looks as if at some point of the editing process the system understood that we were creating another item. And I don't have a clue where and why that happened!

To show you the problem in detail, I attach all the information of 2 duplicates of the same article: 222 is in editing, 189 is published.

I hope my explanation is a little bit more clear now! :-) If not, don't hesitate to ask for extra details.

Thanks a lot for your support!! !I very much appreciate it.

Ana
Attachments
submission 222 published.docx
(232.48 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
submission 189 in editing.docx
(237.42 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
anagisbert

Postby asmecher » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi Ana,

Very strange! Is it possible that you used the Native Import/Export Plugin to export and then re-import the set of documents? I'm not sure I can think of another explanation.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby anagisbert » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi Alec,

I'm afraid we didn't use any import / export feature while editing last issue. What we'll do is make some tests with a sample article in a "trial environment" that we have and try to sort out when this duplication occurs.

Thanks a lot for your support! :-)

Ana
anagisbert

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion