OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Transferring Articles Between OJS Servers

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Transferring Articles Between OJS Servers

Postby metricgravity » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi.

I am the website manager for an OJS journal. We are migrating from an old version of the journal, to a new version. (The new version of the journal is on a different server.) We need to transfer articles from the old version, to the new one. I attempted to transfer articles by going into the server for the new journal on linux, and using the `rsync' command. Articles showed up for the journal manager to see. However, the articles were not visible to the editor.

I thought that perhaps the import-export plugin in `plugins/importexport/native' might allow me to export articles from the old server to the new one. However, it was not clear to me how I would do this. I was wondering if someone could please give me an example.

Thank you,
metricgravity
metricgravity

Re: Transferring Articles Between OJS Servers

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:57 am

Hi metricgravity,

If I was doing this, I'd break the process down into two steps. You're migrating to a new server and upgrading OJS in the process, which may be hiding the issue. I'd migrate to the new server first, without upgrading. You can do this by simply copying all of your OJS directory tree, your files/ directory, and taking a MySQL dump of your mysql database. Ensure that it works on the new server first, and then proceed to upgrade the OJS installation on the new server. There's no need to use the import/export plugin for this sort of thing.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby metricgravity » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi, Jason.

Thank you for your reply. The problem is that the new version of the journal already has been installed. For some time, I have been making changes to the new version of the journal, at the request of the Editor in Chief. It is not possible to copy the old version of the journal first and then upgrade. I somehow need to get the journal articles plus the metadata over to the new version.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
metricgravity
metricgravity

Postby metricgravity » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Is there a file which stores information about submissions (e.g., metadata and information about where an article is in the submission process)? If so, then I think I would only need to copy over such a file after transferring submissions to the new database. However, I cannot find any such file.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,
metricgravity
metricgravity

Postby JasonNugent » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:29 am

Hi metricgravity,

No, there's no such file. All information regarding a submission's workflow status is kept in the database.

Have you actually started to use the new server's installation yet? If not, then here's what I'd do:

1. Take a mysql dump of the old version.
2. Copy the files/ and public/ directories from the old server to the new one. The structure doesn't change between OJS versions.
3. If the existing database is not in use yet mysql import the old database over top of the new one.
4. Run the php tools/upgrade.php upgrade command to upgrade the old database to the new schema on the new server.

Doing it that way would mean that any customizations made to templates or code on the new server would not be affected. This assumes that you haven't made schema modifications to the new database.

The issue with the import/export article plugin is that it doesn't move the workflow database content with the articles. If you look at the XML it creates, you'll just see the article information and the relevant files -- you don't get the review rounds or comments or notifications.

Another option, if you've just made database changes to the journal (settings, that sort of thing) would be to preserve those on the new server by perhaps extracting that content from the journal_settings table and then re-importing it later on.

Any of this help?

Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby metricgravity » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:27 am

Hi, Jason.

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is that I have modified the code for the new journal server, at the request of the Editor in Chief. I also have created new files and webpages. I am afraid that I would lose my changes.

I do not see how my changes would be preserved after the data import. I appreciate your help.

Best Regards,
metricgravity
metricgravity

Postby rafaelmota » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:00 pm

I have same problem of transferring articles between OJS Servers. I have two server, one emissor and another receptor. I use this path for export and import Issues
Cover> User> Managing Editor> Import / Export Data> Articles & Issues XML Plugin> Choose Edition

but in another server I get this mensagem:
Import Error

One or more errors occurred during import. Please check to ensure that the format of the import file correctly matches the specification. Specific details of the import errors are listed below.

The section title "Artigos" in the "Vol 1, No 1 (2001)" issue matched an existing journal section, but another title of this section doesn't match with another title of the existing journal section.
rafaelmota

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi rafaelmota,

You have to make sure that the section titles match exactly. For example, if your source journal has a section called Articles in English and Artigos in Portuguese, then make sure the journal you're importing into has both of those titles specified for its section too.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby rafaelmota » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:16 pm

Alec Thanks for your prompt reply.

My problem is that the receiving server contains magazines that the other server does not have, this is one of the reasons for migration.

I know nothing of the OJS however received a mission to make this transfer. How do I set up quickly to resolve this problem? Is there somewhere that I can copy the settings of one or the other?
rafaelmota

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi rafaelmota,

Unfortunately there's no easy way to migrate content from one system into another that already has content in it. What you're doing is probably the best solution, but note that the import/export process will not include editorial workflow data such as peer reviews.

You'll need to use the Journal Manager's "Sections" interface to make sure the journal you're importing into has the same section configuration as the one you're importing from. Fortunately, if no section could be found to match the import XML, then a new section will be created. If your journal is empty, you can delete all sections and then attempt the import; the necessary sections should be created.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rafaelmota » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi Alec, I'm comparing all areas and settings of a server and the other to try to resolve the compatibility issue. The issue that I auditioned for export and import is already a closed issue.
rafaelmota

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi rafaelmota,

You can migrate journal settings by bringing the contents of the journal_settings table from one server to the other; just make sure that the journal_id refers to the correct journal (see the "journals" table on both installs). Ensure you flush your data cache after making changes to the DB.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rafaelmota » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:22 am

Now that manually rebuild any other basis, I uploaded the xml journals, I have three problems

1 - I am getting this message "DB Error: Unknown column 'ea.user_id' in 'where clause'"

2 - The order of issues was wrong, I would like to change?

3 - Its exclude editions and make sending again?
rafaelmota

Postby asmecher » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:15 am

Hi rafaelmota,

1) What version of OJS are you using?

2) In the Editor's "Back Issues" interface, use the up and down arrows to re-order the issues. (You can also drag and drop the table rows.)

3) I'm not sure what you mean; could you describe again?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rafaelmota » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:51 am

Hello Alec,

1) my version of OJS is 2.4.2.0

2) Thanks for the help I could put in order.

3) Its exclude issues closed?

Regards,

Rafael Mota
rafaelmota

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support