OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

after the server changed; download and upload problem

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

after the server changed; download and upload problem

Postby hasurorg » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:31 am

Hello...
I'm using ojs version 236. And we moved our websites to a new server. OJS does not download and upload files. The system in the old server is debian 6 and Direkt admin. The new system are Debian 6 and plesk panel. There are some difference in term of diretories. However, I download old files and databese and uploaded new server. And I revised config.inc.php.

Bu I faced some problem. ojs can not download and upload files. I changed the permission to 777. It did not work.

I don't know what the problem is. I need help to solve this problem.

Best wishes...
Tacettin
hasurorg

Re: after the server changed; download and upload problem

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:56 am

Hi Tacettin,

Beware of 777 permissions; they are likely a security risk. There are lots of threads on the forum about permissions.

You're on the right track working with file permissions and your config.inc.php configuration file. Check your files_dir to make sure it's correct. If you have shell access, use "ls" to verify the location:
Code: Select all
ls /files/dir/here
If it's correct, you should have a few files listed e.g. journals, site, etc.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby hasurorg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:13 am

Hello Alec....
Thank you very much for your support. I think the files directory is right. I checked it by your suggestion and here is the result;

$ ls /var/www/vhosts/hasuder.org.tr/ojs_files
journals
site
temp

My configuration is: files_dir = /var/www/vhosts/hasuder.org.tr/ojs_files

I think that ojs can find the way but it can not use the files. OJS can not read or write behind the web root. But I'm not sure..

What else can I do?
Best wishes...
Tacettin
hasurorg

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:22 am

Hi Tacettin,

Check to see if your PHP installation is using open_basedir (see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/223800/how-can-i-relax-phps-open-basedir-restriction). I don't think this is the problem, because it ought to result in a warning message. The more likely cause is SELinux policies; check to see if you're using SELinux. I can't specifically help with the required permissions but there should be lots of threads about other web apps such as Drupal requiring the same sort of permissions for file storage.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support