OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

using OCS database to extended external functionalities

OCS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

using OCS database to extended external functionalities

Postby amdorino » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 am

Hi,
I have a website for administrative tasks of conferenes which have nothing with articles. I would like to have the OCS installed database used to these non-articles conferences, as some of the conferences are only lecutres.
Can installed OCS enable CRUD operations from external website directly to the database (with or without locking mechanisms)? Or will it "break the installation"? Does it enable to add tables of my own such as NonArticleConference, NonArticleConfTypes, and so on?
I am looking for expanding the functionality of OCS to addresss the needs of administrative tasks – without being limited to plugin capabilities.
Thank you.
amdorino

Re: using OCS database to extended external functionalities

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:11 am

Hi amdorino,

External tools can modify the OCS database without problems, with the exception of some of the tables that are cached in the filesystem like conference_settings and sched_conf_settings. If you do run into cache problems, you can disable the file cache for specific classes by modifying the related DAOs, like ConferenceSettingsDAO and SchedConfSettingsDAO.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: using OCS database to extended external functionalities

Postby amdorino » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:56 pm

Thank you
amdorino

Return to OCS Development