OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

InDesign and Scribus

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

InDesign and Scribus

Postby reflections » Fri May 31, 2013 12:41 pm

Since I don’t know how to use Adobe In-Design (we lost staff who did) and I am faced with getting out our first 3 issues this summer, I’m seriously considering switching to the free Scribus program, if and only if over the next week or so I can manage to successfully transfer the template for the cover and for empty articles that we have developed in Adobe In-Design. Of coruse, Adobe doesn’t make it easy, as they are notorious for not exporting in other formats and for making it next to impossible to import. This means transferring a template takes about 3 hours, with skill, and I may pay someone to do that. However, a beta version 1.5svn of Scribus http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus
will is able to read IDML files, which is the export format of Adobe (other than PDF). I’m going to seriously try to make this work. It would make it much easier to involve others in the work of the journal, and would save us money and be consistent with the open source nature of OJS.

All advice welcome!
Michael Dover, Editor
reflections@csuohio.edu
www.reflectionsnarrativesofprofessionalhelping.org
reflections

Re: InDesign and Scribus

Postby reflections » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:53 am

Scribus is working out really well. Since it is free open source desktop publishing software, I'm surprised there isn't more use of it with OJS. I'm still a neophyte, but we're definitely moving beyond In-Design. I found a great consultant who manually converted our In-Design template to the stable version of Scribus, pending release of the beta version as a stable version (then it will be able to import In-Design). - Mike
reflections

Postby asmecher » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:33 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks, that's really good feedback. I have a good impression of Scribus, but it's the designer's impression that really matters.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby reflections » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:59 pm

The name of the consultant is: Staffan Melin staffan.melin@oscillator.se, www.oscillator.se.

He's in Sweden. He volunteered to (and did) use the beta version of Scribus 1.5 to convert an Adobe *.imdb file for us, but ultimately we chose to use the current more stable 1.4.2, and we paid him to convert our layout to 1.4.2. He also delivered a great set of instructions on how to use Scribus, to supplement the online documentation and the Scribus Official Manual (available from Amazon).

My only complaints about Scribus so far: (1) their ink pen logo is so similar to WordPerfect (which I've used since version 3.0 in the early 1980s)! (:}, (2) it has crashed a few times, but there is an autosave, although I haven't yet learned how to set the time of how often the files are saved; it's best to save after each article is done, etc..

Another plus: use of Liberation fonts and other open source fonts, not proprietary ones.

With Scribus, anyone anywhere in the world in any operating system platform (Windows, MAC OS X, Linux, etc.) can download the software and collaborate. We had Adobe In-Design on our CSU main journal computer, but when I logged in using Virtual Private Neworking to that machine, Adobe is so smart it "knew" it wasn't me there physically, and demanded a cloud subscription! That did it! That was the moment when I decided to abandon Adobe In-Design.

Given that the 12,000+ OJS journals seem about equally divided among the world's continents, a good source of desktop publishing software seems pretty cool. True, one reason we are doing it this way is that our journal is n-o-t open source (there will be a small sub). This is because we publish narratives of practice and want an intentional readership. Our PDFs will be image only (unsearchable), with only title and abstract searchable, although within Proquest and EBSCO it will be searchable. Thus, we can't use the text, rtf and other formats available from a typical OJS journal.

Mike Dover
reflections@csuohio.edu
Last edited by reflections on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
reflections

Postby asmecher » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting all the details -- I'm sure to refer others to this.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion