OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

preloading message

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

preloading message

Postby burdzy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:49 am

I administer a journal that is (currently) hosted by a server that is
sometimes slow:
http://depts.washington.edu/opmath/index.php/opm/index
My guess is that the server is slow because of slow connection
with mysql database because a different Web page hosted by the same server:
http://depts.washington.edu/ssproc/
does not experience such delays (the second page does not use OJS or mysql).

Is it possible to display a preloading message in OJS like
"Welcome to Our Math Journal. Please wait."
while the real page is being generated by the php/mysql code?

Thanks, Chris
burdzy

Re: preloading message

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:12 am

Hi Chris,

In my opinion it would be better to find out why your installation is running so slowly. Ask a server tech to look into it if you have one available; see if any tables in MySQL are growing unusually quickly (generally implying that spammers are creating content with bots); check to see on the server whether load conditions are normal e.g. by looking at the process list. OJS shouldn't run so slowly that you need a loading page.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby burdzy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:59 am

Hi Alec,
I share your sentiment but the server (or group of servers) is used by thousands
of faculty and students at the Univ of Washington. It was always slow as far as
I remember when I used mysql (for example, Joomla). The best solution would
be to move the journal to a faster server but I do not have such an option at this time.
I do not think that spammers etc. can explain slow performance because
the sever was slow from day one. The local tech support tries to be helpful but
I do not see how they can speed up the server for me.
Best, Chris
burdzy

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi Chris,

That's a difficult position to be in. I would argue that any site requiring a "Loading" page will probably be losing readership because of the low performance.

I would suggest making a journal landing page that contains static content. Depending on your server, this may be as simple as placing a "index.html" file in the same directory as your journal that presents a loading message and redirects the user to the index.php wrapper. Anything more involved than that will require a bit of technical skill in modifying OJS, and I would still suggest that skill is better spent solving the server issue. (A cheap $15/month hosting package performs better than what you're describing.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development