OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Attachments not sent to author

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Attachments not sent to author

Postby SirOscar » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Twice now I've uploaded a doc file to my editor decision email that I've sent to authors (cc'ing myself), only to find that the file is not attached. I don't want to upload the reviews directly from the authors because I strip the meta data from them. I copy and paste their reviews into one doc and then send that to the author. Is there a step I'm missing that would make the file attach (I go to browse> upload > and then see the file name in the box). Thanks!
SirOscar

Re: Attachments not sent to author

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi SirOscar,

Is it possible that you forgot to press the "Upload" button before continuing? If you're running a recent release of OJS, you should be able to check the submission's History page, find the email in the email log, and see whether the submission was attached there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby SirOscar » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:40 pm

I just looked at the history page. Oddly, nothing is listed under any of the categories (i.e., Event Log, Email Log...). Since I cc'ed myself on the editor decision message, I know the message went out (also, a submission acknowledgement was sent to the author when the piece first came in). Nothing showing up here. Since a missing attachment occurred before, I made a special point to click "upload" this time, thinking that was my error the last time. Thanks for any ideas!
SirOscar

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi SirOscar,

What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby SirOscar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:31 pm

It's 2.3.4.0
SirOscar

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi SirOscar,

I would strongly recommend upgrading to 2.3.8 or 2.4.2 before debugging further; 2.3.4 is quite an old release and it's likely that you're hitting a known bug that has already been fixed.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby SirOscar » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:44 am

Ok, will do. This is perfect timing because the site will be moving from its current host to a new host server. Should I expect any problems with data migration from one server to another? Would you recommend particular FAQs or informational texts to support this process? If so, I'll forward them to the IT team handling the migration. Thanks!
SirOscar

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:34 am

Hi SirOscar,

The upgrade to OJS 2.3.8 will be quicker and less likely to attract problems, because it's a minor upgrade. The 2.3.x line is currently receiving security updates only but should remain stable and safe. The 2.4.x line has now been marked stable and the upgrade is fairly well tested, but you'll see from these forums that people do sometimes run into data problems (which we can help walk you through). Either way, make sure to make a full backup before beginning. See docs/UPGRADE for full instructions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion