OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Importing conferences from OCS2.x.

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Importing conferences from OCS2.x.

Postby albertosa » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi,

as I'm having all kind of troubles updating OCS 2.1.2.1 to recent release 2.3.5, I wonder if it will be possible to do the other way around:
* fresh install of OCS 2.3.5 in a different <path>
* import all conferences from version 2.1.2.1.

Does anybody tried this before?
All I can see in menu "Site Administration > Conferences" is an option to "Import from OCS1", not from OCS2...

Thanks,
Alberto
albertosa

Re: Importing conferences from OCS2.x.

Postby JasonNugent » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi Alberto,

What sort of problems are you having with your update attempt?

The database structures between 2.1 and 2.3 would be sufficiently different that a direct import (i.e. a mysql import) wouldn't work. However, you could try using your old database and a new copy of the 2.3.5 code base and running the command:

Code: Select all
php tools/upgrade.php upgrade

command to update the old database to the new schema. Please make a backup of your database before you attempt this, or else use a new database with a copy.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby albertosa » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:32 am

Hi,

I'm following the instructions in "docs/UPGRADE".
Regarding a clean process, I choosed to install the "3. Full Package", preserving the old 'config.inc.php', 'public' folder and uploaded files directory.

Next step, "Upgrading the OCS database": as Windows Server is the operative system, I choosed the method via "2. Web" by running a web-based script to the update: changed "installed = On" to "installed = Off" in 'config.inc.php' file.
I also used a copy of the old database (PostgreSQL 8.3.5).

Opened a web browser to OCS site, acessed installation and upgrade page: "If you are upgrading an existing installation of OCS 2.x, click here to proceed.", then button "Upgrade Open Conference Systems".

It took a second to have this information:
"Errors occurred during installation:
A database error has occurred: ERROR: relation "paper_presenters" does not exist"

I also tried with a slight different approach by applying the recommended patches against OCS2.3.5 before the upgrading process. It solved other errors ocurred during installation, except this one as I said. I used patches for the following bug numbers: 6495, 6900, 7275, 7425, 7427, 8003, and 8119.

Any help? Many thanks!
albertosa

Postby JasonNugent » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:28 am

Hi Alberto,

The database error you're receiving is occurring because Postgres can't find a table called paper_presenters in your database. I have gone back to the OCS 2.1.2.1 database schema and there is indeed a table called this. Have you made any modifications other than the patches you've mentioned?

One of the things that the 2.3 upgrade does is rename this table to paper_authors. If you have run this upgrade process before and had it fail, then this may have already happened. Running it again would generate the error. Are you starting over with a fresh database from 2.1.2-1 when you try it again?

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Return to OCS Technical Support