OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Statistics & Reports error ?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Statistics & Reports error ?

Postby mar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:00 am

I noticed that in Statistics & Reports, Report of Views, the .csv file seems to report a wrong count in excess. In fact, after a single visit and a single action, for example in the Total Galley views or PDF fields, is added a +2 instead of a +1

Can you help?
thank you
mar

Re: Statistics & Reports error ?

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:22 am

Hi mar,

What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby marchitelli » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:27 am

Hi Alec,
I found this behaviour also in 2.4.1

Andrea
marchitelli

Postby mar » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:05 am

My OJS version is 2.3.6.0
mar

Postby springday » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:18 am

I've observed this counting behavior, too. I think it is related with the fact, that in /pages/ArticleHandler.inc.php the galley's view count is incremented in the view() and in the download() method. Technically it is two views, if a person display the article page with the embedded PDF and then chooses to download the file to her computer. Yet our company's marketing department is not satisfied with this, either, and would prefer to have the action of displaying the article and page and downloading the file to be counted as one view, as well.

Best regards,
Kai
springday

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:20 am

Hi all,

I wonder if the view-then-download behavior is the same as the others are reporting above -- please confirm, mar or Andrea.

Kai, what would you suggest in order to disambiguate? We could e.g. discard multiple views from the same user if they come within a short time window...

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby marchitelli » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:46 pm

No, for me is different.
When I get a page (below the corresponding row in access.log)
XXX.YYY.ZZZ.JJJ - - [05/Jul/2013:08:36:41 +0200] "GET /index.php/jlis/article/view/8766 HTTP/1.1" 200 9633
the counter counts 2 visit at the same time.

Please look at http://leo.cilea.it/index.php/jlis/article/view/8766 where I expose the article views (using this method, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9668).
If you refresh the page, the counter is incremented by two units

The same occurs in the report views csv.

Andrea
marchitelli

Postby asmecher » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:30 am

Hi Andrea,

Are you using the Timed Views plugin (i.e. is it enabled)?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby marchitelli » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Yes, Alec, it's enabled.
Andrea
marchitelli

Postby asmecher » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi Andrea,

I thought so -- I noticed in the code, and just confirmed with another developer, that this causes the entries to be double-counted. We'll post a bug entry and a patch here shortly. Meanwhile, if you're not actually using that plugin, disable it to prevent double-counting.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby springday » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi Alec,

personally - and on behalf of the company I work for - I appreciate your idea of discarding download counts, if they appear a certain time period after viewing the article on the website. I think, people who download an article less than two minutes after opening the article view were probably not really after reading it online, but wanted to go for the download in the first place. So not to count those downloads is a good idea.
On the other hand I'm not sure if everybody would be happy with this interpretation. So maybe it would be better to make this counting behavior a configuration option to let OJS users decide individually in the journal setup?
Another thing I don't know is, if this idea of discarding some of the view/download counts would be still COUNTER compliant.

I'm also intered of hearing of the TimedView plugin, which isn't activated in my OJS 2.4.2, not even after running the upgrade.php once again just now. I'll have to check what's wrong with this and try this one myself, too.

Best regards,
Kai
springday

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Kai,

I wouldn't suggest getting too attached to the Timed Views plugin -- we're finishing up a rewrite of statistics that should finally do the job properly, and that involves scrapping the existing toolkit (though stats information will be preserved as much as possible from before). OTOH this should all be ported into the current ojs-stable-2_4 branch if you're curious.

I'll pass along this thread to the developer who's been working on it in case he's hit similar requirements.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby bbeghelli » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi guys,

I'm one of the involved with the new statistics work for OJS. I will try to better describe what's new.

The current statistics structure is based only in plugins. So now we have a plugin that will produce usage information when some usage events are completed. This usage info will be available for any other plugin that's interested in usage statistics. So, for example, if a file is downloaded, this plugin will provide the usage event information to any other plugin that's registered to receive it. This usage event has similar type of data that we might found in apache access logs. So, that's the first change: plugins that wants to handle statistics don't have to worry anymore about the common usage events. If they have one particular case they can still implement it, but the common usage events information can now be easily retrieved.

To consolidate the current ojs views and the timed views and counter plugins we also developed a new plugin. This new usage statistics plugin counts everything that is counted now and also follow as much as possible (we didn't get it verified by COUNTER yet) the guidelines from COUNTER project. So we actually already have a time limit between requests from the same origin to consider an usage event as a valid one (this policy is done just inside this new usage statistics plugin, the usage event plugin doesn't apply policies, it only builds usage events information). But the time is not user defined, it's the one that COUNTER defines (30 seconds for file downloads and 10 seconds for html).

If someone wants a different set of policies to produce usage statistics, than one can create a new plugin, use the usage event plugin to receive usage event information and implement a new metric type. The metric type is a concept that we use to distinguish usage statistics that implements different counting policies. The default OJS metric type wil be implemented by the plugin described above, the usage statistics plugin, so every place that presents usage statistics in OJS will be using this metric type, called OJS/COUNTER. But if a new plugin implements a different metric type, than the user will be able to define which metric type will be the default (on a site and/or journal level). This setting doesn't deactivate the other plugins that implements different metric types, it only defines the metric type that will be used as default to present usage statistics to users.

Another point is that the usage statistics plugin can use apache log access files or it's own log files to produce usage statistics. So, as long as users keep the log files archived, they can reprocess them with any other plugin to match any change in policy. We've already build a tool to control the log file processing that can be reused. For more technical details about how the statistics are stored, and more about metrics in general, see http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/OJSdeS ... .2F_III.29 It's working in progress, so some topics are still under development.
bbeghelli

Return to OJS Technical Support