OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

LaTeX support and adding line numbers before review?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

LaTeX support and adding line numbers before review?

Postby egonw » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:37 am

Hi all,

in our small 'journal' we used to make a lot of use of LaTeX, which easily allowed me to add line numbers to the reviewer version, of which a copy went along with the reviewers' reports back to the author.

In OJS, the author can upload only one file, which complicates use of LaTex, as the user now needs to create a .tar or .zip. I could require the .tar/.zip to contain the PDF version as well, so that reviewers do not have to create it themselves. Alternatively, I can ask the user to upload the PDF created from the LaTex, but then I don't have the source anymore to create HTML ... (If there is anyone with LaTeX/OJS combination experience, I would love to here those...)

Now, the LaTeX made is very easy to add line numbers to the PDF output, just adding a oneliner, which I used to do in a manual admin system in the past. This is a feature very much appreciated by our reviewers. However, I don't see how this would work in the OJS. Can I take the author submission offline, and replace it with a version which has a numbered PDF? What would be the OJS way for doing this?

Egon
egonw

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:48 am

Hi Egon,

OJS does require submissions to be contained in a single file, so I'd suggest looking into a tool or plugin to help package a Latex document as a single file -- I think you'll find that this makes versioning and management much easier as well.

OJS allows the Editor to designate a review version, separate from the author's submission, so it should be possible to allow Reviewers to access a version with line numbering enabled. Likewise, you can designate any file you like for Editing, so line numbers can be disabled again at that point.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support