OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to assing authors at articles in editing ?

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

How to assing authors at articles in editing ?

Postby oclaudiu » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:07 am

Hello. We created a new journal and I noticed an issue. I loaded articles in OJS as editor . But I created author's accounts after. Please, help me : how can I assing articles in editing to author's account ?

Thanks' very much.
oclaudiu

Re: How to assing authors at articles in editing ?

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi oclaudiu,

OJS distinguishes between "user" accounts and "author" entries. When you submit the metadata for an article, i.e. when you enter the author names, you're creating author entries; those, however, don't correspond to "user" accounts, which include usernames and passwords that people can use to log into the system. Those must be created separately.

When you submitted your articles, you probably used the import/export tools, or the QuickSubmit plugin, or enrolled your editor as an author and had them go through the process. Whichever approach you used, you'll have associated the submission with your manager or editor, not the author. The authors themselves won't even have logins to the system.

Your first task will be to create user accounts for the authors. You can do this manually (e.g. as the Journal Manager, using the "Create User" tool) or via XML import/export (as Journal Manager from Import/Export).

Second, you'll need to change the existing associations between articles and users. There is no way to do this in OJS; you'll need to do it by changing the database. The column you need to change is the "user_id" column in the "articles" table. It refers to the "users" table.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby oclaudiu » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:12 am

Thanks' very much for promt replies. Yes, I submitted articles using Quicksubmit plugin. Now, I created user accounts for authors. But, how can I change the associations betwen articles and users ? Can you help me with an SQL instructions ?
For example : I want to assign article #520 to user johnsmith . Can you help me with an SQL instruction who solve this problem ?
Thanks' very much again for help.
oclaudiu

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:18 am

Hi oclaudiu,

First, get a list of article titles and IDs:
Code: Select all
SELECT a.article_id, s.setting_value FROM articles a JOIN article_settings s ON (s.article_id = a.article_id AND s.setting_name = 'title' AND s.locale = 'en_US') ORDER BY a.article_id;
Second, get a list of user information, including user ID:
SELECT user_id, first_name, last_name, email FROM users ORDER BY last_name;
Then, for each article, use the article ID from the first query and the user ID from the second query to set the ownership:
UPDATE articles SET user_id=5 WHERE article_id=15;
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion