OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Google analytics

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: Google analytics

Postby eXcer » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:45 am

jmacgreg wrote:Hi eXcer,

You may want to try placing the code Google Analytics provides directly into templates/common/footer.tpl, and in templates/article/article.tpl.

Cheers,
James

Many thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try it out then! :)
eXcer

Postby vlilloh » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:15 am

In the file PageTagGa.tpl appears this line:
Code: Select all
pageTracker._initData();

And in the corresponding tracking code that gives Google Analytics does not show this line.

What does this line as it appears in the GA Plugin? Does something on the track?

Cheers.
vlilloh

Postby mcrider » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi vlilloh,

Sorry for the late reply--the _initData() function is no longer necessary (and won't be in Google's examples) because they have modified their GA.js file to do it automatically. It doesn't matter if it is still in the plugin (i.e. you can delete it if you want, but it won't hurt anything by leaving it unmodified).

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby Garant » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:55 am

Hi all!
I've a question regarding multiple journal setup.
Now I've one main GA account for the whole ojs.domain.net which tracks the common data.
I've several journals, example: ojs.domain.net/journal1/ ojs.domain.net/journalN/ and each journal has GA plugin enabled with provided account number.
Should I place this account number to all N journals or this account number must be individual for each journal?
Thank you!
Garant

Postby mbria » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:16 am

I really love to hear the voice of the Analytics experts about this. :-)

Here my two cents:
a) The easy way: different GA for each magazine. Segmentation is perfect and you can collect data from different domains and subdomains. Piece of cake.
b) The hard nice way: Same GA for every magazine to let you have a global overview of the service... but it a nightmare.

About a) not much to say. Create GAs, assign to the magazines and ejoy.
About b) you will need to create profiles with filters.

WARNING: BTW, google recommends to keep a clean profile (Master) with all the collected data without any filter, just in case you delete a profile and the associated info.

I was dealing with it long time ago and I arrived to the conclusion that the easy way was working with the apache logs and awstats. :-)

Any way, my case was a little bit more wired because I allow multiple domains for the same magazine (robots.txt excluded to avoid penalties) for instance it all belongs and redirects to the same magazine:

When I played with Analytics, my idea was mixing it all... and offer global numbers (to the magazines service) and unified numbers (to the magazine's editors), but Analytics didn't think this should be a nice idea.

As I said, waiting Analytics to get more light about this.

Cheers,
m.
Last edited by mbria on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbria

Postby Garant » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:44 am

Hello, mbria!
Thank you for your reply!
I agree with you that the a). is the best option.
But I've some technical questions.
The whole GA tracking number looks like UA-xxx-1. So the only xxx-1 must be placed inside the plugin?

And the last thing. Our ojs.domain.net/ has a home/welcome page with listed journals.
To track this page I should write a custom JS code that will load separate GA script only when the main page will be visited?
Thank you!
P.S. I've edited my post cause I've figured out some questions :)
Garant

Previous

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion