OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

MySQL Error (URGENT)

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

MySQL Error (URGENT)

Postby metricgravity » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi.

The website for the OJS journal I am managing had been working for years, but it suddenly went down. The home page for the website is up, but the parts of the website corresponding to the OJS system are not working. When a user tries to go to a page belonging to the OJS system, the following error message appears: "DB Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (146)"

I do not know whether this is an OJS problem, but I would appreciate it if anyone can give me any advice.

Thank you,
metricgravity
metricgravity

Re: MySQL Error (URGENT)

Postby metricgravity » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:46 pm

Here are some additional technical details.

I suspect that the problem is with MySQL. I found the mysql directory on the UNIX server. The directory contains a program for performing a test run of MySQL. The program is called mysql-test-run. I executed the program by typing, "./mysql-test-run". This resulted in a failure for something called grant2. The following error message appeared: ""grant2 [ fail ]". Additional details about this failure appeared below the message, and are as follows.

Errors are (from
/digipub/mysql/mysql-5.0.45/mysql-test/var/log/mysqltest-time) :
mysqltest: At line 177: query 'connect
con8,127.0.0.1,root,,test,$MASTER_MYPORT,' failed: 2013: Lost connection
to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 0
(the last lines may be the most important ones)
Result from queries before failure can be found in r/grant2.log

Aborting: grant2 failed in default mode. To continue, re-run with '--force'.
Stopping All Servers

I attempted to restart MySQL. I went to the directory containing mysql and typed, "mysql restart". That resulted in the error message, "ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (146)".

Again, I do not know whether this is an OJS problem. However, I would appreciate any advice.

It is urgent that I get the website running again.

Thank you.
metricgravity

Re: MySQL Error (URGENT)

Postby asmecher » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 am

Hi metricgravity,

This is indeed a MySQL problem. I'd suggest googling how to restart the MySQL service on your specific distribution; details may vary slightly. Your MySQL log may contain details on what happened.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support