OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Continues Loading Message on screen

Are you responsible for making OMP work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OMP:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OMP Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OMP Development subforum.

Continues Loading Message on screen

Postby rvaneynd » Fri May 31, 2013 8:06 am

We have just setup OMP. We installed OMP, but had to change the disable_path_info = On to make it work.

But now when we load the page and login we get 2 loading message continues on the screen.
I have attached a screenshot of what we see.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,
Raoul
Attachments
omp-loading.jpg
omp-loading.jpg (40.99 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
rvaneynd

Re: Continues Loading Message on screen

Postby asmecher » Fri May 31, 2013 10:18 am

Hi Raoul,

This indicates that there was probably an error message in the subrequests OMP uses to load those components on the screen. You can find out what the specific messages were by checking your PHP error log, or by using a browser developer tool set like Firebug for Firefox, but I suspect that the disable_path_info mode doesn't currently work for OMP. I've filed this for checking at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8240. (I'd discourage the use of disable_path_info in general as the URLs are much uglier -- this will be relevant for permanent linking etc.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby rvaneynd » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:46 am

Alec,

Thank you for the response.
The problem is that the Website is hosted with 1&1 and I need to have disable_path_info=On otherwise the website will not work at all.

I am trying to see the log files to see where the bug is.

What does the disable_path_info=On/Off actually do?
Is there a php.ini or .ntaccess setting that we can set to make the website work with disable_path_info=off?

Raoul.
rvaneynd

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:41 am

Hi Raoul,

Typically, OMP (like our other applications) uses URLs that look like...
http://my-domain-here/path/to/index.php/additional/parameters/here
...where everything up to (and including) the "index.php" part locates where the installation is on your server. After that, everything ("additional/parameters/here" in the example URL) identifies what part of the system you're viewing, and that part is parsed and handled by OMP internally.

The problem is that some servers are misconfigured in a way that results in these URLs not working. The disable_path_info mode uses an alternate way to generate URLs, but they're verbose and fairly ugly by comparison.

It might be as simple as changing an Apache configuration directive, but it may be more complex, and a large shared host may not be willing to do that. I'll take a quick look at the disable_path_info option in OMP, and if it's quick to fix, I'll post a patch on the above URL -- but if it's more involved I may not be able to prioritize it just yet.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rvaneynd » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:03 am

Alec,

Thank you for the update and willingness to have a look at the OMP code.

What would be the Apache Configuration change required?
I can always ask the Hosting Provider and see what comes out.

Raoul.
rvaneynd

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:31 am

Hi Raoul,

The configuration directive is cgi.fix_pathinfo. (There are a number of threads about this on the forum that might be useful.)

Fortunately this turned out to be a fairly quick fix -- there are patches posted on the bug entry linked above, and I'll add it to our recommended patches list shortly.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rvaneynd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:35 am

Alec,

Applied all the changes and seem to be working now.
Thank you very much for fixing this at such short notice.

Raoul.
rvaneynd

Postby pirkey » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to get more specific information on how to apply this patch. Adding a patch to one of the PKP systems is a first for me and I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
pirkey

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi Kevin,

The patch tool is a standard admin tool, so 3rd-party references like this one will apply equally well to PKP software.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby pirkey » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:42 am

Thank you!
pirkey

Return to OMP Technical Support