OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation failure

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installation failure

Postby bhattach » Sun May 19, 2013 2:31 am

Hi,
I am sorry to be posting this very newbie topic. Also, I have read the FAQ, written to the moderator, looked at the search results for installation failure, but haven't got anything which is directly relevant to my need. I have been struggling with this for the last 2 days and haven't got anywhere near resolving a basic issue. I will be really grateful if someone can help me, as starting a web journal (for which announcements have been made) is very close to my heart.
Anyhow, I've been able to extract all the files required for installation to my server site (which is a Windows IIS server), and when I openthe url where the ojs directory is (www.fosssil.in/ojs/ojs-2.4.2), I am presented with the OJS interface for installation but installation fails giving me a 500 internal server error (there is no sufficiently informative error log that I could spot). I am sure that I am not able to tweak the config file well enough and therefore installation is failing. My server is a Windows server (IIS), it has PHP higher than 5.0 and MySQL, with which I was able to set up a database. If you'd be able to help, I could send the config file around.
Thanks again for any pointers,
Tanmoy
bhattach

Re: Installation failure

Postby bhattach » Mon May 20, 2013 12:18 am

Hi,
Since I've failed to get a response from all quarters after trying very hard to install OJS on a Windows server, I've temporarily shifted to a Linux server; however, I am not able to extract the tar.gz files fully on the server. I get error message of the following type:
ojs-2.4.2/
ojs-2.4.2/public/
ojs-2.4.2/public/index.html
ojs-2.4.2/docs/
ojs-2.4.2/docs/LICENSE_pt
ojs-2.4.2/docs/INSTALL
ojs-2.4.2/docs/COPYING
/bin/gtar: Skipping to next header
/bin/gtar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
/bin/gtar: Child returned status 1
/bin/gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Can I expect any help now ? :)
bhattach

Postby JasonNugent » Mon May 20, 2013 10:04 am

hi bhattach,

Please be patient -- it's the weekend and a public holiday here in Canada, and we are a very small team.

What command are you running in order to extract the tar.gz file on your Linux server?

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby bhattach » Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 pm

OK.
I have not run any command line (like tar xzf ....) but simply used the 'extract' from menu in CPanel.
bhattach

Postby JasonNugent » Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Hello again,

I suggest you use a terminal or shell program so you can run the command directly. From your description, the command that is being run may not be executing everything that it should. Ideally, in a shell you'd want to run:

Code: Select all
tar xvzf ojs-xxxxx.tar.gz

Where 'ojs-xxxxx.tar.gz' is the name of the file you downloaded from the OJS website.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby bhattach » Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi
Couldn't run shell command as I didn't find shell access (although I am the root user), my cpanel is accelerator 2.0.
However softaculous came the rescue, as could install finally from there.
OJS is running but I am yet to figure out whether or not I need to make any changes to config file in order to get any email program running.
bhattach

Return to OJS Technical Support