OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Author Submission Step3 DB error

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Author Submission Step3 DB error

Postby eruthes » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:26 am

Some Authors are having problems when uploading files in Step 3 of the Submission. they tell the following error:

Code: Select all
DB Error: ERRO: valor muito longo para tipo character varying(90)

This must be occurring therefore the fields file_name and original_file_name are being limited for 90 characters in the table article_files. This exactly error that occurred with the subject of emails already was corrected.

But the problem cannot be decided with simple truncate therefore would lose the extension of the file... I think...

This can be happening with the supplementary files, I did not test…

We are with the OJS 2.0.1 and Postgresql 7.4. We will make the update soon but I already verified that the error also occurs in version 2.1.

Eduardo Ruthes
eruthes

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:43 am

Hi Eduardo,

A few field lengths were corrected in OJS 2.1.1 where there was a mismatch between the HTML field maximum length and the database field length; however, you'll still see this error in situations where the database doesn't support UTF8 natively and the content the author enters contains a long title containing special characters. Ensure that your DBMS supports UTF8 natively and try enabling connection_charset and database_charset in config.inc.php; this should correct the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby eruthes » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:04 am

I have made a test whith a file named:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.txt

It have 108 chars (whith .txt).

I don't thik this is a special chars problem.
eruthes

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:34 am

Hi Eduardo,

Absolutely right -- I re-read your posting more carefully and I understand the problem now. I've entered a bug entry for this (http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2411); this should be corrected in our next release, and when I fix the bug, I'll post a patch against OJS 2.1.1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support