OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

[SOLVED] Subscribers notifications are blank mails

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

[SOLVED] Subscribers notifications are blank mails

Postby mbria » Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 am

Hi,

During last months a couple of magazines were reporting OJS was sending blanks mails.
I reviewed the magazines' logs without success but today a "spammed" user explained he "was trying to subscribe himself in a magazine"
and then I realized it was the culprit.

Here you have an example: http://revistes.uab.cat/redes
If you fill the "Notifications" right block with your mail, you will get a mail from the magazine with no subject and no content.

I was not completely sure but I suspected the mail template that need to be sent is NOTIFICACION_MAILLIST_WELCOME.
I checked the translations (translation plugins) and the template exists in es_ES and -of course- with en_US (it fails in English as well as in any other langs).

I searched in this forum for similar issues, but I didn't find any related info...

Any clue about how to fix it?

Cheers,
m.

-------

Info about the installation:
OJS version: 2.3.6
Type of install: MultipleOJS (shared folders)
OS platform Linux
PHP version 5.2.6-1+lenny16
Apache version Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) PHP/5.2.6-1+lenny16 with Suhosin-Patch
DB driver mysql
DB server 5.0.51a-24+lenny5
Last edited by mbria on Mon May 27, 2013 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbria

Re: Subscribers notifications are blank mails

Postby asmecher » Fri May 10, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi Marc,

Just checking -- are you looking for NOTIFICACION_MAILLIST_WELCOME or NOTIFICATION_MAILLIST_WELCOME? (Note the "T".)

Can you check to see if the NOTIFICATION_MAILLIST_WELCOME template exists in the email_templates_default and email_templates_default_data tables?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby mbria » Mon May 13, 2013 1:56 am

> Just checking -- are you looking for NOTIFICACION_MAILLIST_WELCOME or NOTIFICATION_MAILLIST_WELCOME? (Note the "T".)
Good eye. :-) But it was my typo fault. It's all right at lang files. :-(

> Can you check to see if the NOTIFICATION_MAILLIST_WELCOME template exists in the email_templates_default and email_templates_default_data tables?
Exists one record for every lang at "email_templates_default_data" but NONE in "email_templates_default".

Should I add it manualy to the DB (with max (ID) + 1) or it is better to generate it with the email template or translation plugin?

Thanks a lot Alec,
m.
mbria

Postby asmecher » Mon May 13, 2013 9:29 am

Hi Marc,

Not sure why that's missing. Try adding it manually -- that's probably the quickest way. (The ID should be an auto-increment, so just don't specify it in the insert statement and you should cause a new ID to be generated.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mbria » Mon May 27, 2013 5:24 am

Sorry for the delay.
Alec, your solution worked perfectly.

For others, here you have the sql query you need to run:

Code: Select all
INSERT INTO `email_templates_default`
VALUES (NULL , 'NOTIFICATION_MAILLIST_WELCOME', '1', '1', NULL , NULL)

I'm not sure if the issue is related with a former OJS upgrade or with my BASE-OJS model.
I will check but If nobody else claims, it should mean it's just my fault.

BTW, a little OT: Is there any way to manage the list of subscribed users? I read the manual and did a little search myself, but I can't find it.

Cheers,
m.
mbria

Re: [SOLVED] Subscribers notifications are blank mails

Postby asmecher » Mon May 27, 2013 8:25 am

Hi Marc,

Frankly, the mailing list features are in need of rewriting; there aren't any tools to manage them by e.g. the Journal Manager beyond going into the database and doing it there. We'll be rewriting these features entirely sometime after OJS 3.0 is released.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Re: [SOLVED] Subscribers notifications are blank mails

Postby mbria » Mon May 27, 2013 9:22 am

This is what I suspected. ;-)

No worry... In confidence, I'm not very fan of this feature.
Subscriptions could be nicely done by RSS so for me is enough, but some Editors and Journal Manager like to check all the checkboxes. ;-)

Thanks Alec.

Cheers,
m.
mbria

Return to OJS Technical Support