OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

New Field in Submission Step 1

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

New Field in Submission Step 1

Postby ianm » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:36 am

We would like to give authors the opportunity to indicate which Section Editor they would like to handle their paper. Ideally, this would be a drop-down list retrieved from the list of Section Editors or just hard-coded.

I realise from the post (viewtopic.php?t=1208) that adding a new field is not trivial. I think it is probably beyond my php capabilities, but where should I start if if I were to try?

Without looking in much depth yet, I guess the areas that need attention are:

a new field in the database to store this
changes to step1.tpl and AuthorSubmitStep1Form.inc.php
changes to editor files to display this when the editor is assigning the paper.

I have a horrible feeling there may be many more! Can you indicate whether I am on the right track and what might need changing, or is it just too complicated to detail?
ianm

Postby asmecher » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:04 am

Hi Ianm,

We've considered this feature for inclusion (see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1510) and as you can see from the discussion, the jury is still out. Actually, you wouldn't need to add a new field -- you'd just need to provide the author with a list of section editors and allow him to assign the editor himself. All the relevant tables are already in the system.

Have you seen the technical reference? It's available from the OJS site under Documents.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development