OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Upgraded by patching to 4.2.4 problems cache? blank pages

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Upgraded by patching to 4.2.4 problems cache? blank pages

Postby mirkh » Thu May 02, 2013 7:45 am

Hi,

I upgraded by patching from 2.3.5 to 4.2.4 today.
When on the User Home (I'm site admin) and I click Editor, Author or New submission for a paper, the resulting page is a blank page. No html at all. 200 OK in the access log.

It seems like the caching is different as there is no file caching anymore, but still the Clear cache options on site admin page do something to the cache files. I'm not sure what to do now, but in a hurry to leave, hope someone has any starting points for me when I get back to work tomorrow.

/ Maria
mirkh

Re: Upgraded by patching to 4.2.4 problems cache? blank page

Postby asmecher » Thu May 02, 2013 8:27 am

Hi Maria,

Did you upgrade the database as well as the code? (Instructions are in docs/UPGRADE.) Were there any errors resulting from the database upgrade step?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby mirkh » Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 am

Thanks for replying! This is what I did.

I first upgraded the code. Did get some .rej files and went over them before continuing. Most of them I copied the current file from the 4.2.4 release. To the config I added all the new stuff.

After that I run the db update script. I didn't run as root and got a lot of warnings like this one

ojs2 has produced an error
Message: WARNING: fopen(/usr/local/ojs-2.3.4/cache/fc-pluginSettings-0-timedviewplugin.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied
In file: /usr/local/ojs-2.3.4/lib/pkp/classes/cache/FileCache.inc.php

Got ok from the script at the end.

After that I tested the site, and got the errors I described previously with blank pages. I thought this might have to do with the db updating as I got these warnings. This is when I made the bad choice of running the update db again, this time as root.

Got ok from it and no warnings. No improvements though.

So I have made a mistake, running the update script twice, and afterwards I realize it could mess things up.

Now I don't know what to do, to start over, trying to go back to exactly where I was before upgrading, or continuing trying to find what is wrong.
mirkh

Postby asmecher » Fri May 03, 2013 8:30 am

Hi Maria,

If you didn't get an error message on the first upgrade, then the second upgrade shouldn't have complicated matters -- it'll just re-synch the XML database descriptor against the database, which will in the end change nothing if the two already match. The most likely problems you're encountering are file permissions (everything in cache/ must be writable by the PHP scripts, and leftover files in cache/ may cause problems if the first upgrade wasn't able to clear them, which seems like it was the case). Check your PHP error log to see if there is anything more helpful there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mirkh » Mon May 06, 2013 12:29 am

Hi,

As I didn't solve it I rolled back to what I had before I started.

On the side I then upgraded a copy, and it doesn't have the same errors as the upgrade I did last week.

Still, neither captcha nor recaptcha work. I have found threads about it but not any that help me solve it.

But I'm not quite getting why there is still a cache directory writing files when the setting "file" for object_cache is removed? Is it better to always create a new cache directory when you upgrade (previous times we have linked it to the same cache directory as before the upgrade).

/ Maria
mirkh

Postby asmecher » Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 am

Hi Maria,

The object cache and the file cache are used for different purposes; the file cache is not optional, but the object cache can be used optionally to improve performance. (Most installations do not require it.)

The upgrade process will typically flush your file cache. If file permissions do not permit, which is entirely possible if you're running the upgrade script from the command line, then you'll receive a warning message during upgrade to indicate that cache files could not be cleared. If that happens, we recommend that you clear the cache contents manually, but otherwise there should be no problems in continuing to use the old cache directory.

Can you describe the problems you're having using recaptcha?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mirkh » Tue May 07, 2013 1:09 am

Hi Alec,

I set everything to do with captcha to "On", but don't get any sign of any captcha (I'm checking on the register page).

No errors in error_log. No match for captcha in the source code of the web page.

/ Maria
mirkh

Postby asmecher » Tue May 07, 2013 7:49 am

Hi Maria,

It might be that your config.inc.php, which was probably saved from a previous version, is missing some of the configuration options required for ReCaptcha. Take a look at the config.TEMPLATE.inc.php file, which should be fresh from your 2.4.2 package, and consider copying the relevant section over.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mirkh » Wed May 08, 2013 5:11 am

Hi Alec,

I wish that would have been it, but I copied the new config.inc.php when I upgraded my test version, and applied our settings to it.

Is there any way to get more debug information on what is happening?

After more checking I found out that my php-gd library is not working. That explains why captcha is not working. Question: if captcha is not working, does it prevent recaptcha working too?

Something completely different: I noticed that there is no countries.xml in lib/pkp/locale/sv_SE/, but copied the one from en_US. (This was something that I did get complaints about in the error log.)

/ Maria
mirkh

Postby asmecher » Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 am

Hi Maria,

Yes, it's likely that the php-gd library is the problem. Since enabling that is generally as easy as uncommenting a line in your PHP config and restarting the Apache service -- could you try it and report back?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mirkh » Thu May 09, 2013 8:49 am

Hi Alec,

Thanks again for all your replies.

I found that I don't have php-gd on the machine, it's very old, and I have to upgrade php to be able to get a matching php-gd. As we have a holiday right now in Sweden I'll wait until Monday, so no need to check until then :)

Kind regards,
Maria
mirkh

Return to OJS Technical Support