OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation error

Open Harvester Systems support questions and answers, bug reports, and development issues.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome.

Installation error

Postby mica78 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:56 am

Im facing weird errors with Installation of HArvester 2. The previous version worked fine. I also have OJS running ok on my system.

System is Linux (Debian) with Apache2 web server and Mysql 5.0.24 and php 5.1.6.

The installation goes fine and I get page saying now you need to login. However when trying to login I get messages like:

Notice: unserialize() [function.unserialize]: Error at offset 9 of 24 bytes in /var/www/harvester-2.0.0/classes/site/SiteSettingsDAO.inc.php on line 88

Notice: unserialize() [function.unserialize]: Error at offset 9 of 24 bytes in /var/www/harvester-2.0.0/classes/site/SiteSettingsDAO.inc.php on line 88

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/harvester-2.0.0/classes/site/SiteSettingsDAO.inc.php:88) in /var/www/harvester-2.0.0/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 124

When clicking browse I get:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getRecordCount() on a non-object in /var/www/harvester-2.0.0/cache/t_compile/%%8E^8EA^8EA26CCF%%index.tpl.php on line 19

Tried Installing several times. Any help would be appreaciated?

-Mika
mica78

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:06 am

Hi Mika,

There are two problems here; one is that I suspect your locales list has somehow become corrupted. Try browsing to the administrator's Languages page, ensuring that the settings are OK, and saving; this may correct the unserialize error.

The second error (call to member function on non-object) may be caused by a file permissions problem in your cache/t_compile directory. Make sure that the web server user has sufficient permissions to admininster everything in the cache directory and its subdirectories.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby mica78 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:36 am

Thanks for the tips.

Admin language pages does not show anything selected nor can I select anything from the pull downs. I wonder how can I fix this since I cant really change any settings?

However on the second error; I have granted a+rwx to all the directories mentioned in the README, including cache/t_compile. It doesnt seem to be the case.

-Mika
mica78

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:10 am

Hi Mika,

Could you execute the following in MySQL and send me the results? (Email me personally if some of the content refers to your installation directly.)
Code: Select all
SELECT select setting_name, setting_value FROM site_settings WHERE setting_type = 'object';
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Mysql Statement Executed

Postby mica78 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:08 am

Here you go.

mysql> SELECT setting_name, setting_value FROM site_settings WHERE setting_type = 'object';
+-------------------+------------------------+
| setting_name | setting_value |
| installed_locales | a:1:{i:0;s:5:"en_US";} |
| supported_locales | a:1:{i:0;s:0:"";} |

-Mika
mica78

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:38 am

Hi Mika,

Those values are as they should be... perhaps your system has magic_quotes enabled or something else is interfering with the data coming out of the database. Could you send me the output of a phpinfo(); call?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Fixed but another problem emerged

Postby mica78 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:53 am

I reconfigured PHP and turned off magic_quotes and the installation works now. Wow. I read the README but it didnt advise to disable them.

Now another problem came up. I added one repository to the system and it was harvested ok. But then adding another one gets weird. The adding process goes ok. But then in the repository list I can only see the repository I added first. Nothing else. Yet the total number of repositories is 2. Repeating the step results the same thing, except that the count is 3.

So the problem is: I keep adding repoositories, but they dont show on the list. Yet they are counted on the screen.

So, whats happening here?

-Mika
mica78

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:05 am

Hi Mika,

This is a recent issue that came up -- it's an incompatibility between PHP 5.1 and the version of Smarty included with the Harvester 2.0.0. Try the pach at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2393 and see if this corrects the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
Last edited by asmecher on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asmecher

Applying a patch

Postby mica78 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:26 am

I was trying to apply the patch with
pacth -p0 < patchfile but I keep receiving errors.

can't find file to patch at input line 3
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- lib/smarty/CHANGED_FILES 22 Nov 2005 03:02:03 -0000 1.1.1.1
|+++ lib/smarty/CHANGED_FILES 13 Sep 2006 10:47:14 -0000

I dont have such file in the directory. Well, I tried to remove those first lines from the patch and more errors appeared.

patching file lib/smarty/Config_File.class.php
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]

patching file lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]

patching file lib/smarty/Smarty_Compiler.class.php
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n] y

can't find file to patch at input line 385
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?

The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- lib/smarty/diff/Smarty.class.php.diff 22 Nov 2005 03:02:07 -0000 1.1.1.1
|+++ lib/smarty/diff/Smarty.class.php.diff 13 Sep 2006 10:47:20 -0000

There is no diff directory in lib/smarty.

So, is the batch working ok, or should I know how to use it first?

-Mika
mica78

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:20 am

Hi Mika,

You can ignore the .diff files -- they're for reference only, they're not part of Smarty. Did you receive any other error messages, particularly when patching the .php files?

If you're having trouble with the patch process, you can also use CVS to check out a fresh version; CVS is currently stable and has a few additional bugfixes. See docs/README-CVS for more info.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Still not showing the repos

Postby mica78 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:32 am

I downloaded the latest CVS and installed the system. Now the installation process works fine.

Im still having the same problem adding repositories: the list only shows one repository allthough the count says there are many.

You can see the installation online at:
http://tds.terkko.helsinki.fi/harvester2/

-Mika
mica78

some more errors

Postby mica78 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:26 am

Also when I try to browse the one and only visible repository I can only see one item for each page.

When I try to search, I get this error message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function displaySummary() on a non-object in /var/www/harvester2/cache/t_compile/%%92^924^92435639%%results.tpl.php on line 96
mica78

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:26 am

Hi Mika,

Please update your check-out; I've just committed the new version of Smarty to CVS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

CVS

Postby mica78 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:28 am

Great, now I adding repositories works fine and I can see them on the list. Also the items list seems to be correct.

However; when trying to update the metadata index I get the following:

Internal error
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/harvester2/classes/xml/XMLParser.inc.php:69)

What could be causing this?

-Mika
mica78

Postby asmecher » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:02 am

Hi Mika,

I'm not sure, but this sounds to me like an XML parsing error. Try validating the XML feed with a tool like XMLLINT -- something like (on the *NIX command line):
Code: Select all
wget "http://www.some-oai-site.com/url/to/oai?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc"
xmllint --noout name_of_resulting_file
This might help clarify the problem. Alternately, if you post the OAI URL here, I can verify.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to Open Harvester Systems Support and Development