OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OCS: Affiliation field more

OCS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page. While these are OJS-specific, the OCS codebase is similar enough to OJS they should be of help. There is also an [url=http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs_documentation[/url]OCS Documentation[/url] page with some more general documentation that might also be of interest.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OCS Technical Support subforum.

OCS: Affiliation field more

Postby chuber » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:34 am

Dear OCS Developers,

I just recently help in organizing a conference, where we used your great system. There is one idea, that would - as I think - even more facilitate the process of creating conference proceedings from online contributions. The idea concerns restructuring the way how affiliations are handled. It would be great if several affiliations could first be entered into the system independent of the authors (ideally in a specific format, like "department, university, city, country"). In a second step, one would link authors to affiliations via numbers or other ways of reference. Therefore, it would be possible to have many to one and one to many mappings for authors and affiliations, which would be great for editing conference proceedings. Well that's just an idea, and i don't know how feasable such a change is. However, I would be happy, if you could consider this suggestion.

All the best,
Christoph
chuber

Re: OCS: Affiliation field more

Postby ramon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 am

Hello Christoph,

I agree with your suggestions.
It would make sense to make this a "general" tool for all OxS software as well!
And it brings back to my memory an idea for an international project I had (probably discussed it with PKP members in one of the conferences I attended):
The idea was to create an international directory of researchers. This way, they could be authenticated and their profile and bio information could be integrated more easily.
It could be a decentralized system! It could be a specific Open Data format that responds to AJAX queries, for example FOAF or something similar.
A URL added would respond with the data, and the system would interpret that as it would see fit, automating much of the biography and user data.
And it could/should be implemented as a 2-way road, meaning OxS could update user data (if authorized) and vice-versa!

This would be phenomenal, for example, for our science research institute, CNPq, making it easier and automated for researchers to update their Lattes Curriculum (if Lattes would allow such a thing, which it probably won't).
Just a thought...

The format would also standardize affiliation/institutional data, allowing for statistical studies.

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Return to OCS Development