OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Adding an article to an existing issue

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Adding an article to an existing issue

Postby cardieri » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:20 am

Hi,

I have the following question: how can I add an article (which went through the whole submission/reviewing process) to the current issue (i.e., already published)?

Thank you in advance

Paulo
cardieri

Re: Adding an article to an existing issue

Postby vgabler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:58 am

Hi,

You can add an article to an existing issue by opening that article record, navigating to the Editing page, and then selecting the current issue from the dropdown menu for the Schedule for Publication in section. This will automatically publish the article in that issue to the end of whichever Section it has been assigned. It's important to remember that this might affect pagination. For our journals that publish articles to an open issue one at a time, we wait until the issue is closed before paginating the articles and uploading new paginated documents.

All best,
Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Postby eblwelch » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi Vanessa,
I'm new to OJS and am currently configuring our migration to the system. We are also implementing DOIs for the first time. We have one volume/issue per year and assign/publish articles throughout the year. My question is about how the pagination issue you mention here effects PDF creation and DOI assignments. In both cases, it is necessary to have the page numbers at the time of publication (DOIs can have page numbers in the suffix). Won't post-publication page number changes create inconsistencies? Currently, we solve this by assigning page numbers to articles in the sequence they are published, irrespective of the section. I'd really appreciate any insight you can offer.
Thanks,
James
eblwelch

Postby vgabler » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:56 am

Hi,

We don't use the page numbers in the formula for our DOIs, so we haven't dealt specifically with this issue. We use publisherID/JournalAbbreviation.Year.Article ID as our DOI formula.

I know that some "publish as you go" journals just restart the page number for every article with 1, so repagination at the close of an issue never happens. However, if you're using the beginning or ending page number in your DOI formula, this won't work for you unless one of the other elements will always be distinct. I'd suggest you reconsider your DOI formula unless you have a distinct reason for selecting it. For example, we know that no two articles will ever have the same article ID in the OJS system, so we chose to use that as the final element for our formula.

Short of changing your DOI formula, I"m not sure how you can be certain that all DOIs will be unique (which is the source of their value in the first place). The only other thing I can possibly think of is to make each individual article its own numbered issue record, in which you name the year's worth of articles/issues under one volume number, and then include the issue number in the DOI formula. But that seems pretty clunky to me.

I hope this response helps you in forming your ultimate decision.

All best,
Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion