OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Server can't connect to PKP server

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Server can't connect to PKP server

Postby mrcardoso » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:46 am

A strange behaviour has been occurring between our web server which hosts OJS and the PKP server.

I try to execute the upgrade.php script only to check if the version is up to date, but after some time it answers it couldn't reach the file at http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/xml/ojs-version.xml

I can access the PKP server through PING and TELNET, but can't get this XML file like it's blocked through safety rule or something like that.

Our server is http://gorila.furb.br and the home page for OJS is http://gorila.furb.br/ojs

Any help would be appreciated, TIA.

Marcos R. Cardoso
Biblioteca Universitária
FURB
Brazil
mrcardoso

Re: Server can't connect to PKP server

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:13 am

Hi Marcos,

I wonder if you aren't running afoul of some PHP configuration (e.g. proxy configuration) or perhaps SELinux policies.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby mrcardoso » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:41 pm

asmecher wrote:Hi Marcos,

I wonder if you aren't running afoul of some PHP configuration (e.g. proxy configuration) or perhaps SELinux policies.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

The PHP directive allow_url_fopen is set "On" as default. SELinux is not installed, because Debian doesn't come with it. Proxy is also ok.

We have another Linux web server at chapim.furb.br and if we use "telnet pkp.sfu.ca 80" and a "GET /ojs/xml/ojs-version.xml" the file comes normally. But if we do the same at gorila.furb.br the "GET" freezes and no answer comes.
mrcardoso

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Marcos,

Hmm, we have no blocks on this side; are the two machines (chapim.furb.br and gorila.furb.br) on the same internal network? If so, that suggests to me that there is something internal to your network that is causing one machine not to be able to access the descriptor but not the other.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mrcardoso » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:56 am

I'm talking with the technical support here at the university, and we're going to perform some tests (including change of IP address) to see what could be causing this problem.

Unfortunately, it will be possible only on April 22nd, so I'll have an answer only from that day on.
mrcardoso

Return to OJS Technical Support