OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Password reset failure

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Password reset failure

Postby dwyant » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:35 am

We have a password reset failure. I found similar problems described in the forum, but no solutions.
When users who have forgotten their passwords use the "forgot password link," they receive a temporary password and are able to login. But, after logging in with the temp password users are required to reset password -- here's where we have the problem. The system is not recognizing the users' newly created passwords. The user gets an error message that the password is invalid. The temp password no longer works and new password won't work.
In Journal Manager role, I used to be able to log in as any given user and reset their password. Now, when I try to log in as a user, I get error message that I "do not have access to this record. Access requires Site Administrator."
I do not know which version of OJS we are using -- we're using OJS through Scholarly Exchange administered by University of Pittsburgh Library System, but they have not been able to resolve the problem. In the meantime, we have reviewers and readers who are getting increasingly frustrated with their inability to access the journal and our inability to find a fix. HELP! The journal URL is www.jsswr.org
dwyant

Re: Password reset failure

Postby ramon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 am

Hello dwyant,
In this page, About > About this Publishing System, is the version info. You are currently on OJS 2.3.8

Has the system being upgraded recently?
Have the security configurations in ojs/config.inc.php been matched to the previous one?
Sometimes changing the password encryption causes problems, but haven't heard of anything similar to your problem.

We've seen users have difficulty with the password reset feature.
They tend to not include the newly created password in the first field and do not add their new passwords correctly either, as the form may be a bit confusing for a person just receiving a new password.

The message you are viewing regarding administration access means that, now, only the first created user or anyone with the added permission (possible only via database direct manipulation!) can perform that task.

Only the server admins can actually check your logs to see if anything is being output that relates to the issue.

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Return to OJS Technical Support