OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Article rating

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Article rating

Postby sergeiy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi, everyone,

I'm currently working on setting up an open-access journal, which I thought would work best with OJS. There are some features of the journal's planned design that might be a bit tricky, but there seem to be workarounds. One feature, though, might require serious tampering with the code, and I was wondering if people have some smart suggestions or maybe some ideas for plug-ins to use.

The thing is that we'd like to have a rating system for articles published in the journal (an element of post-publication peer review). Ideally this would take the following form: registered readers, who want to leave a comment on an article, would not only write text comments, but also fill in a form where they have to indicate their "grade" for the paper (say, on a scale of 1-5), and possibly add some more information (e.g., the degree to which they agree with the article's main thesis; maybe something on their own credentials in the field). The rankings would be recorded in the database, and a composite grade for the paper would be calculated based on them, and displayed on the article page (and maybe also on the issue TOC; a box of "top papers" can also be placed on the sidebar or the opening page).

In other words, reviewers fill in a textbox by default, but can be directed to a review form, and I'd like to see if there's a way to do the same for comments (and if there's a way for editors to rank commenters, just like they can rank reviewers, that would be even better), and then have the data collected and processed.

I'd be glad to hear if people here have some ideas on how this can be done.

Thanks a lot!

PS: I'm not a programmer or a web admin expert, but I'm young enough a dog to learn some new tricks if necessary.
sergeiy

Return to OJS Development