OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Sorting back issues

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

Sorting back issues

Postby biotaxa » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi everyone.

Sorry but i have to post this because i can not find any more useful information in the older posts.

Recently we are trying to upload all the back issues into our new website based on OJS.
We found that either use quicksubmit or import by xml files using native dtd, in the archive page by default it seems like sorted by the date of the items were added.
Is there any other safe way apart from using sql commands to re-sort all the back issues by the date of publication in the database?
There are over 3000 back issues to add, so certainly we can not re-arrange them one by one by hands.
If using sql commands is the only best way to do, how can i do that?

Thank you for your kindly help and time.

Regards.

-Evo W.
biotaxa

Re: Sorting back issues

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:35 am

Hi Evo,

You can use your publication schedule along with the volume, number, and year to calculate the effective publication date. For example, if you publish an issue per month, then try working with something like this...
Code: Select all
SELECT issue_id, volume, number, year, date_published, CONCAT(year, '-', number, '-', '1') AS new_date_published FROM issues LIMIT 10;
When you have it working as you want, then convert that SELECT statement into an UPDATE statement to correct the date_published columns with the new value.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Sorting back issues

Postby biotaxa » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:43 pm

asmecher wrote:Hi Evo,

You can use your publication schedule along with the volume, number, and year to calculate the effective publication date. For example, if you publish an issue per month, then try working with something like this...
Code: Select all
SELECT issue_id, volume, number, year, date_published, CONCAT(year, '-', number, '-', '1') AS new_date_published FROM issues LIMIT 10;
When you have it working as you want, then convert that SELECT statement into an UPDATE statement to correct the date_published columns with the new value.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks for your kind reply, will you consider to add this function to later OJS sorting options? i believe that will be very helpful for every journal.
biotaxa

Return to General Discussion