OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Upoloading an article fails each time

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Upoloading an article fails each time

Postby pureenergycentre » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:12 am

Hello All

I have set up the OJS on a webhosting. I have reached a stage where we are authorising people to upload their papers. Unfortunately each and every time I try or one of my team try to upload a paper onto the system the below error message appears. Any help?

Note that we have not issues on our webserver as we have enough space and we can create new accounts easily. This means that the writing onto the database is working.

The below is the error message

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems.

Due to heavy load on the server, connections may be temporarily blocked from locations that fetch an unusually high number of pages.

If you've just been heavily browsing, go get a cup of coffee and come back and try again later. :)

We apologize for the inconvenience.

This is the link to the website:

http://pureenergycentre.com/purehypothesis
pureenergycentre

Re: Upoloading an article fails each time

Postby JasonNugent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 am

Hi there,

The error message isn't coming from OJS. That's probably a generic error being shown by your web host when a script creates a problem. In order to diagnose that, you'll need access to your system's error logs.

The first thing I'd look at is file permissions. OJS needs to be able to write to the public/, files/ and cache/ directories since it stores files in those places. Submission files uploaded to OJS do not get stored in the database itself.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby pureenergycentre » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Hello

I have done the checks on the folder you mentioned and haveput them public for writing.

Note I have found file/ under classes/

This did not solve the problem.

Anything else I shall check?

Thank you.

Here is the link:

http://pureenergycentre.com/purehypothesis
pureenergycentre

Postby JasonNugent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:56 pm

The file/ directory you found under classes/ is a different file directory and not the one you're looking for. Look in your config.inc.php file for the correct location. Your server error logs will have the specific reason why you are encountering the problem, so have a look there first.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby pureenergycentre » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:53 am

Jason

I have done what you have suggested and have made all of the files and folders public.

; Complete path to directory to store uploaded files
; (This directory should not be directly web-accessible)
; Windows users should use forward slashes
files_dir = /home/xxx/xxxxx

; Path to the directory to store public uploaded files
; (This directory should be web-accessible and the specified path
; should be relative to the base OJS directory)
; Windows users should use forward slashes
public_files_dir = public

; Permissions mask for created files and directories
umask = 0022

I have also looked inside the directory and found only two subfolders instead of your three which you describe in another post:

it should contain e.g. "journals", "site", and "temp" subdirectories

the Temp directory is not in my file_dir while journal and site are available.

Also, I have put the disable_path_info = On

Finally when I log onto the server, I get a strange message as per the below;

You have been denied access. Access to this site is currently restricted.

But I can access to everything on the site. So not sure if this is the issue that is causing me not being able to upload a file. Any help would be fantastic.
pureenergycentre

Postby pureenergycentre » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 am

All

Please note that the above issue has been resolved. Our webhosting company has changed the php settings and got it to work. So if you have the same problem, then insist on your webhosting company to support your request.

Thank you to PKP for being helpful with their advice.
pureenergycentre

Return to OJS Technical Support