OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

moderating comments

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

moderating comments

Postby brianlee » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:50 am

In OJS 2.2 is it possible to enable reader comments so that the journal manager or editor can review the comments *before* publishing to the website? If not, are journal managers or editors notified by email or in some other way when a new comment has been posted?

Thanks!

Brian
brianlee

Re: moderating comments

Postby brianlee » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:23 am

And as a related question: in OjS 2.1, how does the editor or journal manager delete individual comments? I have looked at the article record and can't find a feature to do this.

Thanks for your help!
Brian
brianlee

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:55 am

Hi Brian,

Regarding the first question: I don't believe it's possible in OJS 2.2.0. We've identified article comments as a definite point of improvement (see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3536 and http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3293, the fix for which was included in 2.2.1 and may be applicable to 2.2.0; also http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4045, http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3487). I don't believe your first point has been addressed yet, and I think it's a great idea, so I've posted it as a feature request here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4138. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for further updates.

You might also be interested in our recent work towards a more robust notifications system: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3922.

Regarding your second question: I honestly don't remember how to delete comments. Is there not a delete button next to the comment text if you are logged in as an Editor? As a general note, you may want to consider upgrading from 2.1, as 2.2 includes Captcha support, which will significantly cut down on spam posts if you are suffering from any.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby brianlee » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:23 am

James,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, now I see the comment delete button while logged in as editor. I had been looking only at the comment thread and hadn't gone to the comment itself, where the delete button is located.

We haven't enabled comments on any of our journals yet, we are just exploring the option. I like the idea of having a WordPress-like comment check/management feature. I also like the idea of having the comments/number in the TOC (Bug 4045). Most of our journals are PDF only and it seems a little confusing to try to find the comments sometimes if you go straight to the PDF and the sidebar tools aren't enabled.

Thanks!

Brian
brianlee

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi Brian,

Glad to hear the problems have been solved, or are on their way to being resolved! And please, if you have any additional thoughts on those reports, go right ahead and post them to the reports themselves; feedback is always appreciated.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby gerbenzaagsma » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:01 am

I wanted to revisit this thread as we are currently trying to see whether or not to switch on comments for our journal.

In OJS 2.2 is it possible to enable reader comments so that the journal manager or editor can review the comments *before* publishing to the website?

If I understand correctly there is no review functionality at the moment prior to posting?

If not, are journal managers or editors notified by email or in some other way when a new comment has been posted?

This is much more important. As far as I can see (but please correct me if I am wrong) there is no way to get notified at all when a comment is posted? This means that journal managers have no way of tracking comments or knowing they have been posted and thus cannot moderate comments. This seems essential comment functionality in order to prevent comment abuse. Is this something that might be in the works or is it possible to implement a notification option oneself?

Thanks and best,
Gerben Zaagsma
gerbenzaagsma

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:44 am

Hi Gerben,

Since we first wrote the commenting functionality a lot of add-on commenting tools have sprung up; you're now much less likely to see built-in commenting tools on websites and much more likely to see Facebook, Disqus, and other embedded tools. If you're interested in experimenting with commenting in your journal and the built-in tools aren't up to the task, I'd suggest working with one of those. You'll probably have to drop some Javascript into a template file but I don't think anything else will be necessary.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby MMeijer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 am

Hi Alec,
It looks like there is a problem with notifications (incl. emails) on reader comments.
It seems that only the site administrator is receiving such notifications, no matter what notification settings the other users may have.

This is the problem Gerben refers to in the 2nd half of his post. As a journal manager/editor, he wants to get notifications about reader comments.
We are using OJS 2.3.6.0 (and PHP 5.3).
Could you confirm we've stumbled upon a bug?

Best regards,
Maarten
MMeijer

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi Maarten,

Is it possible for you to upgrade to the newest 2.3.x to see if that resolves the issue? There were some fixes made to the notification code since 2.3.6 and I'd rather not spend time debugging problems that may have already been solved. It's a good idea to keep up to date anyway.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby MMeijer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:39 am

Hi Alec,
Thanks! This OJS installation will soon be upgraded to the latest release, so it's good to know that the notification code has had some fixes and the problem will disappear - hopefully.
gr.Maarten
MMeijer

Postby MMeijer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:59 am

Hi Alec,
Sorry, back again. I realized that we have several 2.3.8 test installations, so I could test if anything in the notification area has changed, but nope! :(
Even the site administrator doesn't get notifications of reader comments, so my conclusion for now:
if the idea is that any registered user gets a notification about any reader's comment on any article (if the proper notification setting has been checked), then this doesn't work!

I'm willing to dive into the intestines and may be come up with some solution, if you could confirm the above.
gr. Maarten
MMeijer

Postby asmecher » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi Maarten,

I'll never turn down a willing pair of hands. The notifications should be created in pages/comment/CommentHandler.inc.php in the "add" function; look for a call to "$notificationManager->createNotification". It appears in a loop that should fetch a list of all users. The first thing to check would be whether that list is correct.

You'll find the implementation for the createNotification function in lib/pkp/classes/notification/PKPNotificationManager.inc.php -- that's where the notification email should be getting sent. That'll be the second piece of code to check.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby MMeijer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:50 am

Hi Alec,
From the source code it becomes clear that only the users associated with the article (author, and all kinds of editors) are notified about reader comments. For the journal at hand, it was the site administrator who initially uploaded lots of backissue articles. He became "author" of all these.
So that's the explanation why only this user#1 was getting notified, without anyone else - there are no editors involved.

Still, it's a bit contradictory that only a journal manager can delete the comments, while he 's not being notified. Although in practice, editors are often journal managers too. Anyway, nothing wrong! :D

Maarten
MMeijer

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 am

Hi Maarten,

Thanks for following this through. (We'll be making heavier use of notifications in future releases of OJS and will probably tweak some of the quirks.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion