OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

file locations

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

file locations

Postby nevermind182004 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:34 am

Hello,

I am in the process of migrating our files to a new server and i would like to ask where and what are the specific files/folders that needs to be updated. One of our editors have just posted a new journal and issues to our old server and i would like to update the new server with what they have posted by copying the files and transfer it to the new server. I dont wanna bother them reuploading the new journals on the new server. What are the specific files and folders need to update? Thank you.

Regards,
Rye
nevermind182004

Re: file locations

Postby JasonNugent » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:03 am

Hi Rye,

There are a few folders that would need to be migrated. Inside of your OJS directory, there is a public/ directory that contains files that should be publicly accessible by visitors to your journal. You also have a files/ directory which may be in a different place entirely, and is specified in your config.inc.php directory. For security reasons, this directory should not be inside of your web accessible tree, so you might have to look around for it. After your migration, make sure that the config.inc.php directive for this is updated to point to the new location.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby nevermind182004 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi Jason,

Thank you, i would like to ask too if there are need to update in the database as well?

Regards,
Rye
nevermind182004

Postby JasonNugent » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 am

Hi Rye,

There are no file locations stored in the database. However, if you upgrade your OJS version during this migration, you'll need to upgrade your database schema. If everything is staying the same, this shouldn't be an issue.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby nevermind182004 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Jason,

Thank you for confirming me those info! One more thing if i may ask, how about the subscriptions made for all the journals? Where are the files located that i need to backup?

Best Regards,
Rye
nevermind182004

Postby JasonNugent » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:59 am

Hi Rye,

Journal subscriptions are stored in the database. You shouldn't have to back up anything other than your MySQL database for those.

Cheers,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby nevermind182004 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 am

Thank you so much Jason! :D
nevermind182004

Postby nevermind182004 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:08 am

Hi Jason,

Its me again, how about the archives of a specific journal? is that included in the file or public folder too? Because i've encountered some journals that have missing archives. :S

Also can i determine which specific location in the file and public directory of a journal/article that are newly uploaded? I believe inside the files/journals has many folders starting from 1,2,3,4 and so on, i'm wondering if there are specific pattern to know specific journals and articles.

Thank you,
Rye
nevermind182004

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 am

Hi Rye,

Yes, everything is stored in those directories. Whether an article is considered archived or not is determined by a setting in the database, not a file location. The numbers you see correspond to the autoincrement values for your journals and articles in the database and should not be used as a way to determine which article corresponds to which journal.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby nevermind182004 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 am

JasonNugent wrote:Hi Rye,

Yes, everything is stored in those directories. Whether an article is considered archived or not is determined by a setting in the database, not a file location. The numbers you see correspond to the autoincrement values for your journals and articles in the database and should not be used as a way to determine which article corresponds to which journal.

Regards,
Jason

Hi Jason, to what specific database table/s can i backup so that i can retain all the previous settings that i have? i believe we got 2009, 2011, 2012 issues, and all i can see are the 2009 and 2011.. i can't see that 2012 current issue in my new setup. but i already copied all the files and folders in file and public directories. Any ideas what possible am i missing?

But upon seeing my old server and check one of 2012 issue, i already backup the exact same file. but the issue is just missing, but the files are there..

Regards,
Rye
nevermind182004

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi Rye,

Generally, you want to back up your entire OJS database. The associations between files, articles, issues, and journals are spread out over several tables, and separating them would be difficult. When you say that you are missing issues, in what way are they missing? Lost files or are they not appearing on the site in your back issue/archive list?

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby nevermind182004 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:00 pm

JasonNugent wrote:Hi Rye,

Generally, you want to back up your entire OJS database. The associations between files, articles, issues, and journals are spread out over several tables, and separating them would be difficult. When you say that you are missing issues, in what way are they missing? Lost files or are they not appearing on the site in your back issue/archive list?

Regards,
Jason

Hi Jason,

The pdfs are there but yes they are not only appearing on the site in the back issue.
Oh by the way, last night i think i figured how to return my back issues, i just import/export the issues from the old to new one.. Would that be ok? I just need to reconfigure some settings to return it to normal. I've check the pdf links and i think its working. My only problem now is that the icons of the pdfs, open access/subscription are missing? :S Do you have any ideas?

Thank you Jason for keeping up with me! ;)

Best Regards,
Rye
nevermind182004

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:14 am

Hi Rye,

Just a clarification on your comment:

nevermind182004 wrote:
JasonNugent wrote:The pdfs are there but yes they are not only appearing on the site in the back issue.

Did you mean to say that they are "now only" appearing on the site in the back issue? Or they are not? If they are appearing in the back issue links but not when you view them, it may be a file permissions problem when you try to view them. If they are not appearing in the back issue list, it is probably something else, which would be puzzling since I don't think you modified your database when you did your migration.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Return to OJS Technical Support