OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Gmail in OJS

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Gmail in OJS

Postby heidimay » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 pm

We use the OJS system through the UBC library at http://ojs.library.ubc.ca/ for our journal. Recently our journal editors had to change to gmail.com email addresses. It now seems that when sending emails from within OJS, the recipients receive a warning (This message may not have been sent by:) at the top of the email. I found a related discussion from Nov 16, 2012 on this forum at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9318&p=36197&hilit=gmail#p36197 I also found this resource: http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Using_gmail_SMTP

I have emailed our contact person at the UBC library but am wondering if there is an easy solution for this problem that I can fix myself or if I should just wait for UBC to fix it?

thanks,
Heidi
InSEA web support - International Journal of Education through Art
heidimay

Re: Gmail in OJS

Postby JasonNugent » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi Heidi,

This is because GMail uses something called SPF to ensure that people do not try to spoof Gmail email addresses. Right now, OJS uses a From: header when sending mail, and because your users have gmail addresses, the mail that OJS sends out has a From: user@gmail.com and is originating from a site that is not under Google's control. This causes that warning. We're working on modifying the way that OJS sends mail, and future versions will use Reply-To: instead of From: which solves this problem.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby heidimay » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Thanks Jason - Was basically checking to see if there had been any progress yet on resolving this.

~ Heidi
heidimay

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 am

Hi Heidi,

Yes; see the attached patches at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8085.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby heidimay » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks Alec! I will send this to the UBC support people.

~ Heidi
heidimay

Postby Alek » Sat May 11, 2013 9:59 am

Hi Alec,

I think this patch is also my solution, but I would like your confirmation, if it is posible.

Our OJS installation use a SMTP server of our organism to deliver mails, it has a rule that only deliver @ourorganism.org, so when a Editor has a @gmail.com and he have to send a mail to another Editor @hotmail.com, the mail never get sent. I was thinking this patch could send @ourorganism.org but add a replay-to @hotmail.com ?

Thank you! And thanks all the team for the fantastic software you've created.

Alek
Alek

Postby asmecher » Mon May 13, 2013 9:53 am

Hi Alek,

Yes, the patch is intended to work around situations like yours. It's unreleased code but has been tested relatively well, so I don't expect you'll have trouble with it. If you do, you can always back out the patch to revert the behavior; it doesn't affect the database, just the running code.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support