OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

PKP and Wordpress Integration

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

PKP and Wordpress Integration

Postby mcrider » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi folks,

To anyone interested, I just remembered that I forgot post about some of the recent work I've done with integrating OJS journals into a Wordpress installation (i.e., using wordpress as a Front-end for a journal, not the other way around which has been done also). I've modified the REST plugin to allow this and also hacked up a Wordpress plugin for that end. Full instructions can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AGnac59zauii9od-u4RwUjxCtCaJxiRfdp2FapRJUpo/edit

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Re: PKP and Wordpress Integration

Postby raickonen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Very good!! From this point of view, I need create a domain for my portal. For example, a domain called examplejournals.com, wordpress, with instructions, videos, documentation, etc. This domain would use information from OJS Portal, listing all journals and their descriptions in front page of wordpress. Is this the right way for that?

Luciano
raickonen

Postby mcrider » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi Luciano,

Yes, this plugin could be used to integrate OJS articles into your Wordpress install like that.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby Ojser » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:46 pm

mcrider wrote:Hi folks,

To anyone interested, I just remembered that I forgot post about some of the recent work I've done with integrating OJS journals into a Wordpress installation (i.e., using wordpress as a Front-end for a journal, not the other way around which has been done also). I've modified the REST plugin to allow this and also hacked up a Wordpress plugin for that end. Full instructions can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AGnac59zauii9od-u4RwUjxCtCaJxiRfdp2FapRJUpo/edit

Cheers,
Matt

This might be interesting!
Does it mean that we will have the OJS interface in wordpress installation?
If so, it really will be useful to take advantage of WordPress simplicity and easiness.
Anyway, I downloaded the zipped files in your links, and I tried to install them in WordPress as any other plugin, but had an error message:
Code: Select all
The package could not be installed. No valid plugins were found.
Plugin install failed.

Am I doing well?
Are your plugins intended to work that way other plugins work in WordPress, or there is special config?
How OJS will work with WordPress?
Could you please give more information about this issue? I'm very interested to migrate to WordPress while keeping the layout and function of OJS.
A hybrid of OJS and WordPress will be an excellent tool, to take advantage of both CMS in one tool!
Ojser

Postby mcrider » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Ojser,

I wasn't actually aware you could install plugins by uploading them through the admin interface, I was just putting them in the wp-content/plugins/ directory. You can do that (unzip the plugin and put it in the wp-content/plugins/ directory). But I've updated the plugin on github and you should be now be able to install it through the wordpress admin panel (just redownload the zip file).

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby ematusov » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Dear Matt--

Your instructions for installation of the ojs-import WordPress plugin say:
In your Wordpress admin page go to Settings -> ojs import
In the ‘Data source’ field, enter the URL to your REST plugin. If your journal is located at http://journals.sfu.ca/paideusis this url would be http://journals.sfu.ca/paideusis/index. ... llArticles.
This is the only method for the REST plugin that currently works with the Wordpress import plugin. More will come in the future (e.g. importing by issue or importing announcements)

In Wordpress still, go to Tools -> ojs import and click on the ‘Import from OJS’ button.

I installed and activated the ojs-import WordPress plugin in MU WordPress 3.5. However, I do not see the plugin in the Settings. I do not see it in Tools/Import either. I cleaned all caches but it did not help. Also, I checked MySQL wordpress tables and I cannot see any new table. Any suggestions, please?

Thanks,

Eugene
ematusov

Postby dioscuri » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:12 am

Hi,

this is interesting subject. Any idea, whether we can synchronize the user database between ojs and wordpress?

thank you
dioscuri

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 am

Hi dioscuri,

Currently that would require custom development.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby aishshub » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:59 pm

Dear Matt--

Your instructions for installation of the ojs-import WordPress plugin say:

In your Wordpress admin page go to Settings -> ojs import
In the ‘Data source’ field, enter the URL to your REST plugin. If your journal is located at http://journals.sfu.ca/paideusis this url would be http://journals.sfu.ca/paideusis/index. ... llArticles.
This is the only method for the REST plugin that currently works with the Wordpress import plugin. More will come in the future (e.g. importing by issue or importing announcements)

In Wordpress still, go to Tools -> ojs import and click on the ‘Import from OJS’ button.

I installed and activated the ojs-import WordPress plugin in MU WordPress 3.5. However, I do not see the plugin in the Settings. I do not see it in Tools/Import either. I cleaned all caches but it did not help. Also, I checked MySQL wordpress tables and I cannot see any new table. Any suggestions, please?

Thanks,

Ashish
aishshub

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:29 am

Hi Ashish,

How did you install the plugin?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby aishshub » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi Alec,

As told by Matt in his document.

1. Installed Wordpress and OJS-2.4.4-1.

2. Then installed REST Plugin in OJS -> Generic plugin and activated.

3.Then installed "mcrider-ojs-import-041427e" Plugin in Wordpress and activated.

After this I am unable to do anything. B'coz not getting in my Wordpress admin page -> Settings -> ojs import and In Wordpress -> Tools -> ojs import and ‘Import from OJS’ button.

Thanks in advance,
aishshub

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:59 am

Hi Ashish,

James here. I had tried Matt's plugin a year or so ago, and it didn't appear to be working then. We don't have a huge amount of Wordpress expertise on the team currently to evaluate and maintain it, and honestly, I don't think it's the best integration option available. I've written up a short document on integration options, which you can see here:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title= ... ntegration

My personal preference is to use OJS' RSS feed option to feed into a Wordpress RSS widget. That way, the content still lives in OJS properly, and can take advantage of OJS' Google Scholar and other indexing services; but you can still promote your content via your Wordpress site.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development